Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Covering a flat cooktop?

1. Senior Member

Help Covering a flat cooktop?

Advertisements
    I need help...and clearly I'm not Googling the right things or looking in the right places.

We have a flat cooktop...conveniently jumping distance to the top of our fridge for our kitties. Don't judge...yes, our cats jump on the stove...but we also clean it to make sure there's no cat hair flying in food.

Anywho...our concern is that they're going to jump on a burner that is still hot and hurt themselves...but we're having the worst time finding a cover for a flat cooktop. I can find the burner covers for regular stove eyes no problem...but for this we need some sort of cover that covers the entire stove and won't slide around.

Anyone got any ideas??
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    What are the measurements?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    What are the measurements?
    30.5 by 21.5 including the temp knobs.
    It's a Frigidaire FEC30S6ABC
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Are you wanting to discourage them from being on the stove or are you ok with them to keep doing it? Like are you wanting the cover to be something where they can continue jumping safely, or something that won't feel good to them so they'll stop?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Are you wanting to discourage them from being on the stove or are you ok with them to keep doing it? Like are you wanting the cover to be something where they can continue jumping safely, or something that won't feel good to them so they'll stop?
    Essentially trying to cover it so they don't hurt themselves.

My opinion - cats will be cats...they will jump on shit and pretty much do what they want. Have we tried various techniques to discourage them to jump on areas such as the stove? ABSOLUTELY. But they're cats and do what they want. They've never gotten on the stove while were actually using it...mainly just use it as a jumping platform to get on top of the fridge...which we never mind them to be on since we don't store anything up there.
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

OK sorry I didn't mean for that to sound critical I just wanted ot make sure I understood right b/c I would have different suggestions depending ...

something like this? it even has a cat walking around on it in the ad.

Home of the StoveTopper - The one piece burner cover for your stove - stove top covers, cover burners, oven covers, stove burner covers, gas stove covers, kitchen burner covers, cook top cover, gas burner covers, rectangular burner covers, stove top
  7. Senior Member
    Although I know you'll find something out there eventually, and I have seen them, I have no idea where to find them. Sorry I can't help you with that. My only thought is that the covers that exist are probably made of metal, and if you put a metal cover over a burner that was recently turned off, could that possibly cause the cover to also get hot until everything cools down? I am trying to think if there are any other solutions...hmm....
  8. Banned
    Banned
    my cats do no get on the counters, tables or the stove- they have been trained to stay off from those surfaces.

I have never seen a cover to cover a hot glass top stove- and honestly I do not think you would want to because the elements need the air to cool.
    and covering them with a heat proof cover could possibly damage either the top or the elements.

the only thing I could find were things to use on a cold surface- nothing that allows someone to use it on a hot stove.. GL!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    OK sorry I didn't mean for that to sound critical I just wanted ot make sure I understood right b/c I would have different suggestions depending ...

something like this? it even has a cat walking around on it in the ad.

Home of the StoveTopper - The one piece burner cover for your stove - stove top covers, cover burners, oven covers, stove burner covers, gas stove covers, kitchen burner covers, cook top cover, gas burner covers, rectangular burner covers, stove top
    I actually just discovered that site! You didn't really sound critical...I could just see people judging us for allowing our kitties on the counters...so I guess I found it necessary to elaborate a bit. I may have to call them for more details on measuring to make sure the one we got would cover the whole cooktop...including the knobs...and make sure it's tall enough to completely cover the knobs.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If it won't cover the knobs, I know you can get knob covers in the baby sections lol