Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your Laminate Floors!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Tell me about your Laminate Floors!

Advertisements
    The apartment I currently live in has laminate flooring, it's pretty, I actually really like the floors a lot, buuuuuut I need help figuring out how to clean them. When I moved in I tried the swiffer floor cleaning system that said it was okay for laminate... yeah I had powdery green film on my floors that DB and I were on our hands and knees scrubbing at for days!

After that I bought a steam mop, and it got rid the nasty green film (or what was left of it DB and I were literally on the floor on our hands and knees with a rag for 4 or 5 days.) However, as I understand, a steam mop is not the best choice for laminate either. So tell me what you do, what works for you? I just want my floors to look pretty again!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The steam mop can curl the edges of cheap laminate and unless you've installed it yourself, you can't trust the quality of the laminate.

Our base house in Missouri had cheap laminate and I used Bona for stone, tile and laminate. Products - Stone, Tile & Laminate Cleaners - Official Bonaź US Site - MyBonaHome.com I just bought the refill and put it in my swifter wet jet and it worked great.

I'm a big advocate of using vinegar and water to clean, but the vinegar will strip the manufactured shine off of laminate floors. Once they are dull, they can't be fixed. Anything with wax in it (like OrangeGlo) will looked shiny at first, but will start to haze on laminate.

The Bona cleaner is the best choice I found for laminate.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Haha immediately after posting this, I had a newsletter from the apartment office put under my door. They suggest pledge commercial cleaner, sprayed on at full concentration. I would think that would strip the floors too, but who knows. Thank you for the suggestion! I tried using Bruces too, which I used at home, but that was on top of the swiffer wet jet, and I'm afraid to use it again.

There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I've never tried anything by pledge on the floors, so I don't know about it to be honest. And I have wood in my house in Ohio and love the Bruces on them, but they left the laminate just bleh.

I hate laminate floors. They are a PITA to make look nice.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I've never tried anything by pledge on the floors, so I don't know about it to be honest. And I have wood in my house in Ohio and love the Bruces on them, but they left the laminate just bleh.

I hate laminate floors. They are a PITA to make look nice.
    My Mom has wood too, and we always used Bruce's. And me too! Even if I do use the steam mop, they look great until the first time I walk across them... Even if I let them completely dry first, there's immediately footprints, I don't think that's going to change no matter what I use. For the record, I'm sure the laminate floors here are cheap. There's a few places in the bathroom (like behind the toilet so it's not completely noticeable at least) where the laminate has lifted and they actually caulked it so it doesn't continue to lift... Seriously?

]
  6. Senior Member
    duluth mn...it's a great city on a great lake!
    Pledge cleaner? Like the stuff you spray on end tables to make them clean and dust free? DON'T DO IT!!!!! One of my coworkers used pledge on the laminate floors at work and no one could walk across the room in stocking feet without sliding and falling.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Noooooo however, I do that under DB's desk, it protects the floor under his computer chair wheels, but it also makes it SUPER DUPER slippery! The name sounds deceiving, this is pledge multisurface floor cleaner (not to be confused with pledge multisurface) it's specifically for floors! I'm sitting here giggling because I can only imagine the pretzel my body would be in if I used the regular cleaner on all of my floor! I bet your floors at work were super slick!

]
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

]
  9. Senior Member
    I bought one of those Clorox Wet Jet thingy's, I like it. I like how the pad is removable AND washable, you just un-velcro it and throw it in with some laundry! Saves me a ton of money! It comes with a removable bottle where you just add cleaner (it suggests adding hot water and soap) but I bought the Swiffer Wet Jet bottles and just add hot water in with the Wet Jet soap and it makes my floors nice and clean and shiny (and smells good, too! ) I, too am in am apartment with Laminate floors.

Here's what I use
    Clorox Ready Spray Mop : Target
    &
    Swiffer WetJet Multi-Purpose Solution Refill with Febreze, Lavender & Vanilla | drugstore.com
  10. Senior Member
    duluth mn...it's a great city on a great lake!
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyJennJenn View Post
    It was pretty funny looking!

This stuff looks a lot safer lol!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast