Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me with fruits and veggies.

1. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Help me with fruits and veggies.

Advertisements
    What does avocado taste like?

Ive had like one bite of guacamole idk foreverbillion years ago and Ive never had straight avocado.

Ive developed curiosity. How do you eat it? What does it taste like?

I feel like such a weirdo.

My dad didn't really teach me about how to pick out fruits and veggies beyond the basics. Broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, carrots, apples. I can pick those. Thats about it. What do I look for if I want to buy one? Like how do I tell if its good?

Same thing with other fruits and veggies. Any tips would be appreciated. Im trying to improve my diet.

Also, how to help bananas stay good for a decent amount of time. I bought bananas and then two days later they were completely brown and mushy.

2. Senior Member
    Avocado tastes like nothing else I can think of. I eat it plain with a bit of salt. It really is tasty and I recommend that you try one! So healthy
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    avocado tastes like vegetable-y butter it took me a while to learn to like it but it's great used on sandwiches, in place of mayo. They should be a little bit soft on the outside and bright green inside. Just cut it in half, pull out the seed, and scoop it out of the skin! Then you can mush it on stuff.

As for other veggies, sauteing or oven roasting is a good way to just cook them simply and get an idea of what they taste like. zucchini, asparagus, peppers, mushrooms, onions, etc.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. Senior Member
    following this… i need to up my veggie intake.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    avocado tastes like vegetable-y butter it took me a while to learn to like it but it's great used on sandwiches, in place of mayo. They should be a little bit soft on the outside and bright green inside. Just cut it in half, pull out the seed, and scoop it out of the skin! Then you can mush it on stuff.

As for other veggies, sauteing or oven roasting is a good way to just cook them simply and get an idea of what they taste like. zucchini, asparagus, peppers, mushrooms, onions, etc.
    Vegetable-y butter is perfect!!!!

I add onions to just about everything. The more the better. I also cook fresh green beans in chicken broth and then drizzle them with Maple Suryp. Sounds weird but really tasty
  6. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I hate avocado I don't know if it's just the texture or idk I just cannot eat it and DH lovessss it.

Turnips are awesome, they taste kind of like potatoes but are healthier! Also, I julienne zucchini and cook it with some mozzarella cheese and that is delicious. I'll also slice zucchini into chips and using olive oil I coat them in bread crumbs then I bake them and they're really good.

7. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    i love avacados with salt! i just can't eat them that much cause they're so many calories.

when i buy them i kinda squish the outside to feel the texture. i like them soft but not too soft! if you can't make an indent in the outside it means they're too hard and not ready yet.

8. Senior Member
    I can't stand avocado so I'm no help there. We eata lot of zucchini and squash, sliced and sautéed with a bit of butter and cavenders of cut into French fry shape, drizzled with olive oil and Oatman and spices and baked. Cauliflower I steam then mash with butter, salt, and pepper instead of potatoes. Broccoli I steam or bake. Baked it comes out crispy and you can season it however you'd like. I don't like a lot of veggies so I tend to cook only a few things but in a few different ways.
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Keep in mind that stuff like V-8 is a good way to get some veggies into your diet too. Just be careful with some of their drinks because they're super sugary (that's kind of a juice thing in general). Also the regular V-8 is somewhat high in sodium.
  10. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Avocado is my favorite on sandwiches! I like them more firm than soft (but a little soft). They (this may depend on type) should be more brown on the outside, the ones that are more green are super hard usually. I also like to grill a piece of chicken or thin steak and eat it with sliced tomato and sliced avocado.

Our new favorite vegetable here is spaghetti squash. If you can find it, I'd recommend trying it. We recently started eating it and we both LOVE it. I mostly make it with tomato based pasta sauce (whatever you make/like), ground turkey, zucchini and summer squash. Sometimes mushrooms.

Baked sweet potatoes is another favorite. I'm about to eat one of those!

And spinach! I don't love raw spinach, but like this morning I put a bunch in the blender and blended it with eggs and coconut oil. You don't taste it in the eggs, you just end up with green scrambled eggs Same for smoothies, but I hate making smoothies so we only do that when DH feels like making them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast