Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Is In Your Garden This Year?

1. Senior Member

What Is In Your Garden This Year?

Advertisements
    Who is planting a garden this spring? What are you putting in it?

We are doing a huge vegetable garden. Here is the list of what we have planned...

Bean, Fortex
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Cucumbers
    Lettuce
    Spinach
    Hot peppers
    Sweet bell peppers
    Butternut squash
    Spaghetti squash
    Yellow summer squash
    Zucchini
    Tomatoes
    Eggplant

We are going to make some raised beds out of cinder blocks this year similar to this one. DH has promised the beds will be done this weekend

So what kind of garden does everyone else have? What are you planning on planting this year?
  2. Moderator

I want a garden SO BAD! It was one of the hardest parts of giving up the idea of buying a house this year. It's super hard to find a rental around here where the owner will allow a garden.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    I want a garden SO BAD! It was one of the hardest parts of giving up the idea of buying a house this year. It's super hard to find a rental around here where the owner will allow a garden.
    In most places as long as you return the yard to its original condition you can do whatever you want. My mom owns several rental properties and she has had a few tenants put in raised garden beds and when they move out they just take the garden beds with them or toss them in the dump.

When we were in an apartment we had a big container garden on the porch. That might be a good option for yall.
  4. Senior Member
    I think I'm gonna make an herb garden. Definitely basil but idk what else!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I think I'm gonna make an herb garden. Definitely basil but idk what else!
    What do you find you use a lot of? I would recommend parsley, thyme, sage, rosemary, chives, dill, and any other herbs you find you use a lot.

Be careful with mint and make sure to plant it in its own container...that stuff will take over your entire garden if you let it! And from what I have read cilantro is a bit tricky to grow.
  6. Travel Junkie
    Travel Junkie
    That sounds wonderful! And those beds look great!
    I've had my herbs going as long as I've been in this house, and four fruit trees, but I want to try vegetables this year. The neighbor has a green thumb and tends the loveliest garden!

I plan to start small, with maybe just cucumbers, zucchini and butternut squash (I make so much butternut squash soup!)....I would love to try for tomatoes, but I think that might be overdoing it for me. I need a jalapeño pepper plant- I don't want to pay $4.99/lb for red jalapeños anymore!
  7. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    The ground is still frozen and its supposed to snow today. Not thinking about the garden yet

But it will probably have:
    A variety of herbs (garlic somewhere my dog won't dig it up!!)
    Tomatoes (Roma and Big Boy)
    Green peppers
    Jalapenos
    Strawberries
    Raspberries (provided both berry plants come back!)
    Asparagus
    Potatoes
    Carrots
    Pumpkins
    Watermelon
    Grapes...if the vines survived the winter
    Okra
    Sweet Corn

I've also got my cherry trees to see if they get anything!
  8. Senior Member
    We only have a couple of raised beds, I think it's 4x8. We have huge trees along our back fence so there's not much space that gets enough sun to put in more beds. So we can't plant a whole lot but this year we'll probably do zucchini, yellow squash, banana peppers (for pickling) bell peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, cilantro, basil and a few other herbs.
  9. Senior Member
    I should add that we do the tomatoes and strawberries in hanging planters and the blueberry is potted so that frees up some bed space.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    We only have a couple of raised beds, I think it's 4x8. We have huge trees along our back fence so there's not much space that gets enough sun to put in more beds. So we can't plant a whole lot but this year we'll probably do zucchini, yellow squash, banana peppers (for pickling) bell peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, cilantro, basil and a few other herbs.
    What has your experience been with growing cilantro? is it difficult. From what I read, cilantro can be difficult and that has always made me wary of trying to grow it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast