Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for all Homeowners

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Question for all Homeowners

Advertisements
    What are the things you've learned or were surprised about once you became a homeowner? Maintenance? Taxes? Yardwork?

I'm just looking for lessons learned, advice, thoughts, all that important stuff you don't realize or think about it until your in the thick of it.

2. Banned
    Banned
    Homeowners insurance, taxes.
  3. Senior Member
    Nothing really surprised me, but we did a good amount of research and we started with a condo, which I think eased the transition because there was no yard, no outside maintenance we were responsible for, etc.

Property taxes were way more than I realized before I looked into it, and until my research, I had no idea PMI existed (and should be avoided at all nearly costs!).

Oh, and I guess I didn't realize how much more I would want to spend on decorating, furnishing, etc., once we had a place that was ours. Somehow, my crappy hand me down furniture didn't bother me at all in an apartment because that felt temporary, but I wanted my little home to be more perfect, and that was hard to resist.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Oy, definitely maintenance and taxes. I was shocked to realize that after I bought my first house, because there was a change in price from the previous buyer to when I bought it, the County decided to come out and "reassess" the house/land for tax purposes. Essentially, the previous seller clearly stated that the taxes per year were $2500. Well, after the reassessment, the taxes jumped to $3500 a year! I was also very shocked to see how much and for which organizations my property taxes were going to every year (oh god, that pissed me off! my county had all these ridiculous taxes that had been forced through as property taxes for things that I did NOT approve of and did NOT want to support </off-soapbox>).

I had purchased an older home and was also surprised at the few emergencies that I ended up dealing with. They would probably be considered "normal" maintenance, but *I* was very surprised and not expecting them. The one I remember most clearly was a pipe that had rusted through. It had had standing water in it and eventually, it just started pouring water through the ceiling! I caught it quickly and was able to prevent most of the damage, but it did surprise me. And, when it's your home, you don't have the option of just calling up your rental company or landlord to handle the problem for you. Being proactive and preventive with your maintenance will definitely help in the long run.

Oh, the last one that I have to mention (because I now think of it any time I'm looking at a new house - rental or for purchase), look at the electrical outlets. If it's a "newer" home (within the last 10 to 20 years), it really should have all plug-ins that have a ground, which is the third hole at the very bottom of the two plugin holes. It will tell you a LOT about the electrical wiring of the house if you go into one room that has no grounds and then you suddenly walk into another room of the house that has grounds. If some rooms have only two holes, and some have 3, it means that the rooms with 3 have had upgraded electrical. If that's the case, it's not the end of the world, but it would definitely be worth asking WHY the electrical was upgraded in some rooms and not others. I think this is mostly an older home issue though...

Good luck with the home-buying process! It is very exciting!
  5. By the power of Greyskull...
    By the power of Greyskull...
    We expected the increased costs with insurance and taxes. We bought within the city limits so we pay more, but it was worth it to us. I wish our HOA dues were due another time of the year (instead of December- HELLO, Christmas)!

We were so eager to get into the house that we went ahead and moved in. I wish we could have stuck it out and then painted some of the rooms instead of waiting.
  6. Senior Member
    no surprises for us. We'd lived in homes before and did all of the work before. I annoyed the hell out of our realtor with questions too.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    How much things cost, all the things that can and do go wrong/need fixed that you never thought about while renting, the process of selling, the possibility of the value of your house going down...a lot of things.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We bought a newly built home so there were no maintenance issues. We'd done a lot of research on costs of things, the only that surprised me a bit was heating and cooling a 2 story home and how much pest defense cost. I love being a homeowner and am so glad we decided to buy.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by MissNik View Post
    Oy, definitely maintenance and taxes. I was shocked to realize that after I bought my first house, because there was a change in price from the previous buyer to when I bought it, the County decided to come out and "reassess" the house/land for tax purposes. Essentially, the previous seller clearly stated that the taxes per year were $2500. Well, after the reassessment, the taxes jumped to $3500 a year! I was also very shocked to see how much and for which organizations my property taxes were going to every year (oh god, that pissed me off! my county had all these ridiculous taxes that had been forced through as property taxes for things that I did NOT approve of and did NOT want to support </off-soapbox>).

I had purchased an older home and was also surprised at the few emergencies that I ended up dealing with. They would probably be considered "normal" maintenance, but *I* was very surprised and not expecting them. The one I remember most clearly was a pipe that had rusted through. It had had standing water in it and eventually, it just started pouring water through the ceiling! I caught it quickly and was able to prevent most of the damage, but it did surprise me. And, when it's your home, you don't have the option of just calling up your rental company or landlord to handle the problem for you. Being proactive and preventive with your maintenance will definitely help in the long run.

Oh, the last one that I have to mention (because I now think of it any time I'm looking at a new house - rental or for purchase), look at the electrical outlets. If it's a "newer" home (within the last 10 to 20 years), it really should have all plug-ins that have a ground, which is the third hole at the very bottom of the two plugin holes. It will tell you a LOT about the electrical wiring of the house if you go into one room that has no grounds and then you suddenly walk into another room of the house that has grounds. If some rooms have only two holes, and some have 3, it means that the rooms with 3 have had upgraded electrical. If that's the case, it's not the end of the world, but it would definitely be worth asking WHY the electrical was upgraded in some rooms and not others. I think this is mostly an older home issue though...

Good luck with the home-buying process! It is very exciting!
    I didn't look at the outlet. Arrrggggg!
  10. Senior Member
    It's never too late! Well, until you do the final closing paperwork... :/

You can always ask to see the house again, even if you've put in an offer. It's just the one thing that really stuck with me (and always the one thing that pissed me off whenever I needed to plug something in that had 3 prongs and no correct outlet!).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast