Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Wells and Septic systems

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Wells and Septic systems

Advertisements
    Pro's? Cons? Experience? I know nothing and am trying to figure out if it is something reasonable to have when we go to buy a home.
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

We have both. No issues yet. Our well is shared with four other homes. We all pay $50 per month to pay the electric bill on the pump (which I believe is 10-20 dollars a month) and the rest of the money goes into a bank account so that when it needs repairs, the money is already available.

We installed a water softener and RO system. The well is great for us. We have awesome water pressure and we also have a pool so it's nice to get that along with a low and consistent bill.

I don't know much about the septic tank. DH is more knowledgeable and says he'll know when it needs to be pumped or whatever.
  3. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    I've had both.

Growing up we had a well, at it was awesome for watering animals garden etc or having a quick drink outside, but it wasn't our only source for water. However, remember that wells are not forever, some dry up. At my new house, we have several empty wells that need to be filled.

I also have a septic system. Mine is new due to IA law, but if it is not required, be sure you have it inspected. They are quite expensive to get and maintain.
  4. Senior Member
    We have both. Dh has always had well water. The only downside to our well water (and a good majority of well water in general) is that it contains ground materials. We have a rocky water table, so our water is high in iron, which causes it to turn our white clothes rust colored. We also have a softener, we'd have really hard water otherwise. Well repairs are expensive. We had to have our pump replaced over the summer as well as the pump bladder and it was over $1500. Also keep in mind that if you have a well, you will not have running water when you lose power (unless you have a backup generator). 2 times in the last 3 years we've lost power for 7+ days due to hurricanes, and also had no water for that time period.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thanks all!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have well water and it is absolutely horrible. So full of iron that everyone of our sinks, toilets, showers is stained. My hair never feels clean and we can't drink from it at all. That said, three houses down my neighbors have no issues so it really depends on the well. The septic system is fine, we've never had issues. It's better if its empty when you first move in because then you know exactly how long its been and you won't get any surprises.

I Eelizah
  7. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    We are renting right now and have both. The water from the well tastes amazing I can tell you that much. Since we are renting I dont have to worry about the cost of fixing any issues but I am sure they can get pricey. The septic was emptied before we moved in, so no problems there.