Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruit Flies.

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Fruit Flies.

Advertisements
    HALLPPPP!!!

I've been telling DH the last week our pantry was smelling bad and having him take the garbage out almost daily... Well come to find out we had some potatoes go bad, a lot quicker than they should have, and we just found them last night.

So we have a massive amount of nasty little things flying everywhere, and they aren't taking my bait. I did a cup with apple cider vinegar and put saran wrap with holes in it over the top, but it's not working. Everyone swears by this and we've caught none.

What are your tricks to getting rid of fruit flies, other than obviously not getting them in the first place?
  2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Fly paper works well if you can hang it up in your pantry.

The good thing is they have a really short life span so if you can get rid of the good majority then they should die off quickly. That sucks though I know they're annoying!

3. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Ugh, we were overloaded with them. I did use the apple cider vinegar and it did work. I left off the saran wrap though. When I dumped it yesterday, there were 18 flies in there.

The biggest problem is the heat, once it cools off they should go away.

If the vinegar really isn't working, look for these: (They really worked when we lived on Coronado) Amazon.com: TERRO Fruit Fly Trap T2500: Patio, Lawn & Garden

4. Regular Member

Dance Bye Bye Fruit Flies!!

I hate fruit flies they ruin everything! I found this trick on pintrest and it's similar to what you posted except you also use dish soap and water so there's bubbles on top and they cant escape!!!! Here's the link How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies | Suburban Turmoil Good Luck!!!! Bye Bye Fruit Flies!!
  5. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLivingood View Post
    I hate fruit flies they ruin everything! I found this trick on pintrest and it's similar to what you posted except you also use dish soap and water so there's bubbles on top and they cant escape!!!! Here's the link How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies | Suburban Turmoil Good Luck!!!! Bye Bye Fruit Flies!!
    This is where I got the idea for the vinegar! I stopped with the soap though and it still worked.

6. Senior Member
    when you get fruit flies | daily life

Never tried it myself but I've heard this method works great.

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  7. Senior Member
    When I had fruit flies I did acv with a little bit of dish soap in it. When I used Saran Wrap I didn't catch any.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

I think I'll toss the saran wrap and add the dish soap... and the over paranoid person in me will probably go grab some sticky fly traps too

I also saw the paper cone method, if all else fails I will see just how crafty I can get!
  9. Senior Member
    I use ACV and dish soap, and poke holes in tin foil. It's worked for me many times.

I also read online that this guy used the hose of his vacuum cleaner and sucked them up I tried it, along with the ACV, and just emptied the cannister outside in the dumpster when I was done. Seemed to help, though I felt silly.
    Camster is the best wifey ever
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I take an empty wine bottle, put apple cider vinegar and a dollop of dish soap in it, swish it around, then make a cone out of paper and tape it into the bottle like this:

Takes care of them every time! The dish soap poisons them.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast