Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooring questions

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Question Flooring questions

Advertisements
    We're looking at doing some renovations in our house in Virginia so that once we leave we can rent it out. There had been carpet in the downstairs bedrooms and hallway that we took up because it was stained. The floor in the hallway seems like it had be damaged and a 2' x 2' square had been taken out and replaced by a flat square of plywood. We'd like to keep the hardwood floors but it's an eyesore so we're looking at other options.

Has anyone used wood grain porcelain tiles, laminate flooring or vinyl planks? How durable were there and what was the upkeep/replacement involved? Did it stand up to pets? Is tile too cold for Virginia? Would you just replace the carpet and be done with it?
  2. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Porcelain, laminate, and vinyl are all pretty durable with porcelain tiles being the most durable and expensive (usually). If you plan to rent, I would not put carpet because that seems like it would just get stained/ nasty too easily. Tile, laminate, and vinyl are easy to clean and can also look very nice. They also do not trap odors like carpet.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I wish we could tag people in threads!

BraveLilToaster recently put down the wood-look peel and stick vinyl and it looked really good in her photos and Crystal had the wood-look porcelain tile installed. They both have dogs and it was a factor in what they chose.

We have engineered hardwood in our house in Ohio. The family that installed them had a dog and our tenants have a dog. I've never noticed any marks in the finish. *Bazinga* also has wood and dogs, but I'm not sure exactly what type of floor she had put in when they built their house, but I know that it's been over a year so she could tell you how her choice wears.

We had laminate in our last base house. I hated it and would never recommend it. My parents have laminate and my mom told me that have marks (not scratches, more like dimples) from people's shoes (like when people come over and have heels on) and she wants to have it replaced.

I would PM a link to this thread to BraveLilToaster, Crystal and *Bazinga* to get their input!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Also, to add, we have tenants in our house in Ohio. We bought and had installed the cheapest carpet we could find in the family room. It looks ok, holds up for tenants just fine and then we can spend our money to get exactly what we want when we move back and it will be brand new.

We just had the carpet in the bedrooms and basement professionally cleaned and it left the carpets in good enough shape for tenants.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Also, to add, we have tenants in our house in Ohio. We bought and had installed the cheapest carpet we could find in the family room. It looks ok, holds up for tenants just fine and then we can spend our money to get exactly what we want when we move back and it will be brand new.

We just had the carpet in the bedrooms and basement professionally cleaned and it left the carpets in good enough shape for tenants.
    That's good to know. I want to put carpet back into the two bedrooms because I would personally prefer to have carpet in a bedroom over tile. We still have the carpet from when DH bought the house on the stairs and the upstairs bedrooms and they're still in acceptable shape. We talked about putting carpet through the living room as well but there isn't a real foyer so I see it getting very dirty.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    That's good to know. I want to put carpet back into the two bedrooms because I would personally prefer to have carpet in a bedroom over tile. We still have the carpet from when DH bought the house on the stairs and the upstairs bedrooms and they're still in acceptable shape. We talked about putting carpet through the living room as well but there isn't a real foyer so I see it getting very dirty.
    Our property manager was the one who told us that generally, carpet is the best bang for your buck with tenants. Professional cleaning can do a lot for it to make it acceptable and if the tenants do something to it to mess it up, it's the cheapest (and most likely a dollar amount already held in reserve in their security deposit) to replace. Busted tiles and damaged hardwoods can cost a LOT of money in labor to fix. I wouldn't even want to think about replacing laminate if a tenant had water damage that they didn't take care of promptly.
  7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

The porcelain wood grained tile is really nice, but it set us back quite a bit. We have two Great Danes and miniature doxies that wrecked havoc on our living room carpet. The floor color goes all the way through to the bottom of the tile, so even if it does get chipped, you will not see it. We've had it installed for a couple of weeks and we love it. I just use a swiffer type sweeper on it every morning and it's good to go.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  8. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    We just moved to an apt that has the laminant in "hardwoods" so it looks like hardwoods but it isnt. I recommend it. Super easy to clean, Im guessing it was cheap and it looks nice. Our dogs dont bother it at all. It has bubbled up in 1 little area that has some odd angled walls.

I've had pergo type "hardwoods" that are really fake hardwoods (like a tiny layer is actual wood) and hate them. I would never have them in my house again. They dent and scratch like crazy. Hate them, when I go to sell my house they'll most likely have to be replace b/c no one wants to buy floors that can be dented with a spoon falling off the counter or a dog walking around or any heels (grrr, it makes me mad just thinking about it!).

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
    yeah, after a very long time of not using it I am trying to blog again!
  9. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I pmed you back but figure I'll throw it out here too for anyone else. We have had the floating wood floors, peel and stick tile and I just recently did all my floors with a peel and stick faux wood. I love it, it is textured and looks REALLY good. It was cheap too, much cheaper than the wood floors or ceramic/porcelain tile. I hated the floating floor, they held up good for a bit but started really showing the wear and tear about 5 years after we put it down. This stuff holds up awesome, the dogs nails do nothing to it and I have two dachshunds, a pit that thinks he's a dachshund and an overgrown chihuahua (he's really a beagle lab mix we think). They get going and play hard and run a lot. They also track in a lot of dirt and I find myself sweeping a LOT more often because dirt shows on it really easy.
  10. Senior Member
    How long do you want to rent it? If it's really short term, I would just do whatever is cheapest. If it's longer term (5 yrs? +), I would probably invest in something that you like that will hold up.

We recently reno'd our kitchen and put down porcelain tiles. Definitely not cheap to have installed, but everyone we talked to said it was basically "bomb proof." You keep a box of extra tiles for future repairs, should anything happen. It's not that hard to chip out a single cracked tile and have it re-grouted down. The downsize is that in this area, the average installation cost was a lot - about $8-$12/sq ft, depending on whether or not the installer provided his own mortar, grout, etc.

As far as the click together wood laminates, I think they can be really hard as long as really heavy objects aren't dropped on them or they don't get exposed to moisture. We have friends who did the laminate wood from costco and it seems like the corners are prone to chips and peeling. And obviously if they get exposed to water/moisture, it will soak down between the pieces and can cause swelling and warping. DH and I have talked about this a lot and we decided that we would rather spend the money on hardwood since it can be refinished, restained, etc. It's all personal preference though! If you don't want to rent long or don't plan on keeping the house too long, it wouldn't matter. If you could afford it, I think the porcelain tile wood would be perfect for renters! Looks nice AND holds up really well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast