Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Vegetable Gardens

1. Senior Member

Vegetable Gardens

Advertisements
    Do any of you grow your own fruit/vegetables? If so, what tips do you have for someone starting out?

And as a related question, do any of you can your produce or make jellies or marinades?
  2. Senior Member
    We are growing cucumbers, tomatoes, and green bell peppers out on our porch. If you are new to gardening I would recommend picking up a book on vegetable gardening or going to a gardening class.

ETA when I was a kid my mom and I would make our own strawberry jam. I think we just used the recipe that wasp on the back of the gelatin packets
  3. AKA USAFgfChels
    AKA USAFgfChels

We did jalapenos, okra, asparagus, two types of tomatoes, squash, carrots, and two types of onions this year. It was our first year, and it was not too bad. Only thing we did wrong was planted a tomato and onion plant side by side, some of the tomatoes had an odd taste! We have not canned any veggies this time, I will try next year!

And we have a pears, pomegranates, and a plum tree. I give the pomegranates and plums to my grandma and help her make jellies!
    Last edited by Chels<3; 09-19-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Spelling!
  4. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

We grow fruit & veg. I have 6 blueberry bushes in pots for when we move around (they take a few years to get fruit, so I don't want to waste effort), potted strawberries, raspberry bushes, we planted some fruit trees last year that got their first fruit this year (died in frost )

As for veg, we planted onions (from starts), tomatoes, 4 different kinds of squash, rutabagas, carrots, potatoes, kale, beans, peas, cucumbers, peppers, and a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head. We also have a herb patch with perennial herbs, including lemon thyme, sage, lemon balm, mint (NEVER plant mint somewhere it can spread. PUT IT IN CONTAINTERS!) and basil. We also have rhubarb and a large strawberry patch. We also tame some blackberries that we use to make wine and jam.

What kind of tips are you looking for? I would say that testing your soil is #1. You want to know what will grow well, and if you need to add any amendments.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes. Lots of tomatoes. And basil mint and parsley.
    Suggestions: Make sure you do not over plant, and leave plenty of space between everything.
    Also, start with pre-grown seedlings to start, not seeds. More expensive, but easier.
    And when you plant assorted types of each species, they each grow better. eg, three varieties of tomatoes rather than just one type.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"