Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally did it!

1. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

I finally did it!

Advertisements
    After watching my Grandma make homemade gravy for years, Ive always been the girl who uses dry gravy mix. She has shown me how to do it so many times, but because Im just too lazy, I dont do it and then forget it.

Well, today, I made my own gravy for the first time ever.

I feel so accomplished. I got the "recipe" which is literally just a roux and then add your own seasonings from The Pioneer Woman's website.

(Side note, I defintely LOVE the PW. She has some awesome recipes and seriously everything I make from her website is delicious).

Anywho. We used original sausage, and then added pepper, some good ol' Tony's, and some garlic powder. And if I had just let it thicken a litttttttle bit longer it would have been even more divine. Now that I know how easy and quick it is, I might be doing this a whole lot more.

What are your favorite seasonings for gravy?

2. Senior Member
    I love the pioneer woman's recipes...so good.

Assuming you're talking about breakfast/biscuit gravy:

My Granny didn't allow anyone in the kitchen "You'll just make a big mess!" Luckily, I watched from a distance many many years and can make her gravy (and she had ingredients in her recipe book). Unfortunately, I can't ever make her biscuits. I think it's a grandmother's magic to make biscuits. Granny made the BEST biscuits: the tops of them just peeled off so you had a gravy "scooper" biscuit top and the rest of it for a gravy "sopper" biscuit bottom.

Fry bacon in a cast iron skillet, use that grease to make your roux. Add flour to the grease, and whisk it well. Granny had her gravy very brown, so you need to keep mixing the roux until it's dark...almost burnt. Then add a mixture of water & milk for the amount of gravy you want. Let that boil and keep whisking...or you're screwed when it burns/sticks to the bottom of the pan. We only use salt and pepper, and we looooovvvvvvvvvvvvvve pepper. I've been known to make it too peppery for some, especially my brother in law, but he doesn't count because he never had Granny's gravy.

I don't make any other type of gravy. If there's a pot roast or anything like that, we just use the broth/gravy it makes on its own if we need it.
  3. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I don't know what I use off-hand... I have it written down somewhere. I usually only make my own on Thanksgiving but if I just want gravy to have it then I prefer the dry mix just because it's quicker. Homemade is definitely so much better though.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  4. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphindm04 View Post
    I love the pioneer woman's recipes...so good.

Assuming you're talking about breakfast/biscuit gravy:

My Granny didn't allow anyone in the kitchen "You'll just make a big mess!" Luckily, I watched from a distance many many years and can make her gravy (and she had ingredients in her recipe book). Unfortunately, I can't ever make her biscuits. I think it's a grandmother's magic to make biscuits. Granny made the BEST biscuits: the tops of them just peeled off so you had a gravy "scooper" biscuit top and the rest of it for a gravy "sopper" biscuit bottom.

Fry bacon in a cast iron skillet, use that grease to make your roux. Add flour to the grease, and whisk it well. Granny had her gravy very brown, so you need to keep mixing the roux until it's dark...almost burnt. Then add a mixture of water & milk for the amount of gravy you want. Let that boil and keep whisking...or you're screwed when it burns/sticks to the bottom of the pan. We only use salt and pepper, and we looooovvvvvvvvvvvvvve pepper. I've been known to make it too peppery for some, especially my brother in law, but he doesn't count because he never had Granny's gravy.

I don't make any other type of gravy. If there's a pot roast or anything like that, we just use the broth/gravy it makes on its own if we need it.
    I hope to some day be that Grandma that makes food like my grandma. Or I guess probably like any grandmother in the world. Grandma's food is ALWAYS the best. Period.

I'll have to remember that recipe and try it that way. I like my gravy darker too, because I feel like it soaks up more flavor.

Only downside is I dont use cast iron skillets. It weirds me out that I cant use soap to wash it. I mean, I know thats kind of the point, but it is still strange to me.

5. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    I don't know what I use off-hand... I have it written down somewhere. I usually only make my own on Thanksgiving but if I just want gravy to have it then I prefer the dry mix just because it's quicker. Homemade is definitely so much better though.
    For my birthday two years ago, DH made country fried steak and homemade gravy. And I dont know what he did (he doesnt either and still cant reproduce it to this day) but it was AMAZING. Heaven. Seriously.

For Thanksgiving do you make brown gravy? I haven't tried that yet!

6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by megan_laine View Post
    For my birthday two years ago, DH made country fried steak and homemade gravy. And I dont know what he did (he doesnt either and still cant reproduce it to this day) but it was AMAZING. Heaven. Seriously.

For Thanksgiving do you make brown gravy? I haven't tried that yet!
    I just had real country fried steak last night with homemade gravy. I say real because when I tried to make it for DH, it tasted like ass on top of sweat ass. But it was delish!!

Brown gravy. Make it right from the turkey drippings.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    I just had real country fried steak last night with homemade gravy. I say real because when I tried to make it for DH, it tasted like ass on top of sweat ass. But it was delish!!

Brown gravy. Make it right from the turkey drippings.
    hey, at least it tasted good!

I dont think we are going to do anything crazy for Thanksgiving this year, but when we do, Ill have to try that!

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yum! I "mastered" biscuits and gravy once we moved out here... I don't do too much to it though just salt and pepper for seasonings

My most recent accomplishment was chicken gravy though! I was so proud of myself Chicken stock, corn starch, and we have some poultry seasonings. It turns out good sometimes but I definitely have yet to get it awesome every time.
  9. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    hey, at least it tasted good!

I dont think we are going to do anything crazy for Thanksgiving this year, but when we do, Ill have to try that!
    Well, mine didn't. DH still ate it though Our friend made it for us last night.

We didn't last year but I still make enough food to feed an army because I love my T-day leftovers. But I think it's the best gravy out there. I'm not even sure how my mom does it with ham on Christmas but I have yet to make Christmas dinner sooo yea

10. Senior Member
    I hope to some day be that Grandma that makes food like my grandma. Or I guess probably like any grandmother in the world. Grandma's food is ALWAYS the best. Period.

I'll have to remember that recipe and try it that way. I like my gravy darker too, because I feel like it soaks up more flavor.

Only downside is I dont use cast iron skillets. It weirds me out that I cant use soap to wash it. I mean, I know thats kind of the point, but it is still strange to me.
    I understand the weirdness factor...but I LOVEEEEE cast iron. If you ever change your mind and get one, use the hottest water possible and it'll be fine. I scoop/wipe out all of the residue and then let it sit in hot water for a little - then pour out the water, wipe, and let the hot water run over it while I scrub it down again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast