Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How far would you travel?

1. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

How far would you travel?

Advertisements
    With being military you can't really choose where you work, but you can choose where you live, so my question is... How far is too far to travel if you found the PERFECT house?

2. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

It would depend on how much I was making and how much it would cost me to get to to work. I currently commute 35-50 minutes (depending on traffic). As long as what I spend to get to work and get home can be made within the first couple hours of a shift I wouldn't mind travelling an hour or more....also considering the time I would have to get up for my shift to start. I have to be at work at 6:30am 2 or 3 mornings a week. Much further away and I would have be up so early I dont know if it would be worth it.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We always agreed that unless we get stationed back in Charleston. SC, DH will never take n a commute, we are very much base housing people. For that location only, he would be commuting 30-40mn because we would be closer to my family and my mom's a real estate agent so she will make sure we don't end up in a bad place/bad landlords like we got first here before getting not base.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Assuming money and the job wasn't really an issue, I think I would max out at an hour. Spending more than 2 hours of my day behind the wheel just isn't something that I would be ok with. Especially if the traffic was really stressful vs. just a long drive on an open highway.

When I was overseas I had a longer commute, but I took the train and it was actually quite relaxing and nice to have some downtime to and from work. So in a situation like that, I would bump it up to more like 90 minutes.
  5. Senior Member
    We picked an hour to an hour and a half. But the base was remote and the nearest town with high speed Internet and a grocery store were something that I was not going to compromise on. It also allowed me to get a job that is thirty minutes away in the opposite direction he had to work.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'd say 30-40 mins
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Well, for it to be the "Perfect house" it would have to require a near zero automobile commute.

I would do up to an hour or two by train, but only if the train was just a few minutes from the house, with easy cheap parking, and no transfers.

But driving, these days I can deal with about 30-40 minutes at most driving to/from work.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Max 45 minutes, provided we are not in a crazy weather location.
  9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    20 minutes for me.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    it depends. if i had a great job/job that i love and it was in the opposite direction we'd probably meet in the middle.

if i had no plans of getting a job and my husband was the only one to work he would want no more than 35 mins.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast