Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Gardening with Lynn!

1. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Big Grin Gardening with Lynn!

Advertisements
    I guess this would be the appropriate board...

So Lynn, talk me through the stuff you mentioned earlier. Grape tomatoes and little pumpkins? I really want to grow some, especially if I can do it inside or in containers! I am seriously gardening stupid though, so you gotta break it down for me kindergarten style and show me what to do.

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed

We've grown grape tomatoes and the miniature pumpkins in buckets. You can get 5 gallon buckets at places like Lowe's or Wal-Mart for like five bucks or you can use an empty cat litter bucket. You just have to drill a couple of small holes in the bottom of the buckets and put some rocks/gravel in the bottom for drainage. Then fill with soil. I use tomato cages with them and they fit perfectly. The mini pumpkin plant is a vining plant, so it will grow and wrap around the cage to help support it and the mini pumpkins are not so heavy as they grow that they will break off. Just to be clear, I mean the little, tiny mini pumpkins that you hold in your palm, the ornamental kind. Smaller, pie pumpkins have to grow on the ground or they'll break off. But I know that the girls would get a kick out of the mini pumpkins.

The good thing about the bucket is that they're easy to move around if you have winds and need to protect them.

Also, tip about lettuce. Lettuce grows well in trays that are a few inches deep. Leaf lettuce is super easy and fast to grow. Pinch it off near the bottom rather than pulling it out by the root and the roots will regrow the leaf and you will have lettuce forever.

So you guys eat radishes? Radishes in the ground around other plants repel slugs. I don't know if you have slugs out where you are, but if you do, plant radishes.

What kinds of things do you want to grow? What kind of space do you have? Are you only going to plant in containers or are you going to plant in the ground as well?
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Well, since I am REALLY new at this I don't want to get in over my head, but I would really love to grow the stuff that we actually eat. Tomatoes for SURE, we also eat cucumbers, lettuce, kale, spinach, carrots, brussel sprouts... just lots of greens and salad kind of stuff. I also hope I can grow some cilantro and basil because I really prefer them fresh and I hate paying for them. We actually have a whole big back yard we can grow stuff in. It's all just dirt, and we would need to do some tilling and remove the random rocks and stuff, but we plan to stay here for a long time so if I have to live with a big dirt bank yard, I may as well do something with it and save us some money! There isn't any shade back there though, so we don't want to get too labor intensive with the yard quite yet because we can't afford to set up tarps for shade or anything quite yet.

I think I can definitely do the buckets. I may have a few somewhere already and if not those are cheap so I can pick some up. The girls would loooooove little pumpkins and they both love tomatoes too, so I definitely want to do those. I think my FIL may have cages, too. He has grown tomatoes tons of times in the past but hasn't been doing it the last few years. I'm sure he will has his gardening stuff.

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Kale and brussel sprouts may be tougher for you, they don't like temps over about 80F. Kale gets bitter and brussel spouts simply won't produce. This is where the local university or extension office will have advice for your area to follow.

Cilantro and basil definitely need to be in pots or they will take over. I've successfully grown almost all herbs indoors in pots, but I've also discovered that my cats like to eat herbs. So I grow them in pots outdoors.

Have you read about square foot, raised bed gardening at all? I don't know much about it, but my sister does it and has great success!
  5. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Yeah kale and brussel sprouts are recommended for winter here in AZ so I thought maybe we could try it. I got a list of what to plant when based on my zip code and it has them listed for fall and winter. Kale starting in October through December and brussel sprouts late July to December.

Yeah I totally think my cats are going to attack whatever I grow. They are buttheads.

The only raised gardens I have ever seen are these ones made out of pallets. I don't know if that is the same thing?

6. Senior Member
    I want to get in here.. I love gardening, we're doing straw bales this year.. Our soil is just too sandy to grow anything.. It's been a fantastic experience. There's no weeds!! I do wish that we would have done more than 20 bales though, next year I'd like to have at least 60.. The tomatoes have gone absolutely insane, so have the beans..