Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting

1. Senior Member

Painting

Advertisements
    I'll finally get the keys to my new apartment tomorrow and I'll want to paint the walls, cause I really dislike white walls. I have all the colors already but now I'm trying to think of ideas on how to paint. Like stripes, or quarters or things like that

Does anyone have pictures or maybe sites with ideas to share? Something you tried in your home? (and I hope this makes sense...)
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Not to ask a stupid question - but have you clarified with the apartment manager/landlord/etc that painting is okay? Some places don't mind, as long as you paint it back when you vacate, but other places prohibit painting regardless.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Not to ask a stupid question - but have you clarified with the apartment manager/landlord/etc that painting is okay? Some places don't mind, as long as you paint it back when you vacate, but other places prohibit painting regardless.
    Yep, I'm fine. All I have to do is paint it white again when I move out.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    well, first I hope you got light colors, because dark colors are super hard to paint over to get them white, even with multiple coats of primer and paint...

I just painted each of my son's rooms.

In one room, he has a chair rail, so I painted the bottom half one color (blue his favorite) and the upper half I did two walls one color, and the other two walls another color .. so 3 colors total.

With the other room, I 'made' a top and bottom half by using painters tape. Top half I painted one solid color. The bottom half, using painters tape I made two walls with vertical stripes, more like vertical rectangles... basically I alternated two different colors but the 'stripes' weren't even spaced, so I had some wide rectangles, some skinny ones, etc. On one of the walls I did diagnoal lines of varying sizes and on the 4th wall, I did a combo of vertical and horizontal with the horizontals coming in from two different ways, one half going down left to right, other half going down right to left, they met at a point in the middle at the base board underneath a socket.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    well, first I hope you got light colors, because dark colors are super hard to paint over to get them white, even with multiple coats of primer and paint...

I just painted each of my son's rooms.

In one room, he has a chair rail, so I painted the bottom half one color (blue his favorite) and the upper half I did two walls one color, and the other two walls another color .. so 3 colors total.

With the other room, I 'made' a top and bottom half by using painters tape. Top half I painted one solid color. The bottom half, using painters tape I made two walls with vertical stripes, more like vertical rectangles... basically I alternated two different colors but the 'stripes' weren't even spaced, so I had some wide rectangles, some skinny ones, etc. On one of the walls I did diagnoal lines of varying sizes and on the 4th wall, I did a combo of vertical and horizontal with the horizontals coming in from two different ways, one half going down left to right, other half going down right to left, they met at a point in the middle at the base board underneath a socket.
    Plus light colors help to open up areas and make smaller, darker rooms look bigger and brighter
  6. Forever & a Day!
    Forever & a Day!
    Blog Entries
    I think you should do something like this with the red as the stripe and the brown as the main color

Calming green master bedroom - contemporary - bedroom - portland - by Ragan Corliss

Serenity is the best Wifey a woman could ever ask for
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loved&Loving View Post
    I think you should do something like this with the red as the stripe and the brown as the main color

Calming green master bedroom - contemporary - bedroom - portland - by Ragan Corliss
    Ohhhh, this looks great! I might have to try that. The red and brown are for different rooms though
  8. Forever & a Day!
    Forever & a Day!
    Blog Entries
    And I also think you should do one wall as chalkboard paint so you and your friends can have fun drawing on it and keep changing it up

9. Forever & a Day!
    Forever & a Day!
    Blog Entries

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loved&Loving View Post
    Aww, man, I totally wanted to do the second one... The first one looks awesome, but I think I might not have the skills to pull that off perfectly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast