Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Closet Organization Ideas?

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Closet Organization Ideas?

Advertisements
    I'm trying to reorganize our bedroom closet and I'm feeling so overwhelmed and lost by it (it's like seriously silly how overwhelmed I feel when I walk in here).

DH has a lot of clothes and I've decided to give him the closet and move all my things into the dresser in our bedroom. We hang most of his shirts, but it's impossible to hang them all. I've honestly bought at least 100 hangers in the last year and still don't have enough to hang ever shirt/jacket. So most of his uniforms are folded and stacked up on a high shelf. They look terrible but I'm not sure what else to do with them.

And that's kind of the problem. The closet has shelves but it's going to look terrible and get messy if I just make piles for pants, shorts, underwear, pt shorts, etc...That's what I tried doing and it worked for me while he was deployed but now that he's back, everything seem like it falls into itself and it's like a giant unfolded unorganized pile. I have a box for his socks, and a box for my underwear, which works I'm just not sure if I should make boxes for his various pants or......what.

Any ideas? How do you organize your closet?

I feel like I'm missing something in this scenario. We have a pretty nice size closet and I feel like I should be able to organize it in a functional way, but it just seems hard.
  2. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Have you looked on pinterest? I got some great ideas for my pantry on there.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here

Oh that's a really good idea! I never utilize my pinterest
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Our closet (in every house since living together) has been the bane of my existence It looks good for about a week and then it just starts heading downhill. Every other closet is organized and generally stays that way but ours is god-awful. We just moved again and this time after having ot pack it and unpack it all ourselves, I've come to the realization that DH has too many clothes so now that he's not going on this mission and will be on semi-regular hours, he's going to spend time getting rid of clothes from high school because I'm beyond sick of having his t-shirts that are a bazillion sizes too big or pants with holes in the crotch fall in on me.

Other than that, I have no ideas. I've gotten to the point of not matching his socks anymore because he has tons and they're all just slightly different so they go into boxes labeled work socks and other socks for him to pair off and his boxers are in a bin and my bras and underwear have their own bins. Everything else is a stacked mess.
  5. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I just went to The Container store, and had them help me redo my closets. It was kinda pricey but SO worth it, and I can reuse the stuff by taking it with me to wherever we move next(it uninstalls/re-installs easily) They have things where they can come and install shelves and such(or you can easily do it yourself as well!) You can also go there with the measurements of your closet. and just get basic ideas of what you can do to get better organized in the space you have available.

Here are some before and after pics I found on Google.. (My closest are empty right now since I'm packing, and I don't feel like getting up Lol)

They even have ideas for kids rooms, office spaces, laundry rooms, kitchens, and extc. Plus, they can help you figure out what type of shelving/storage type stuff will actually fit in the space you want it to fit in.
    Here's the link to look at more ideas, and to look more into it if interested..
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/e...llingSolutions
    Signature removed due to size.
  6. Senior Member
    Something like this may help: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...uctId=10000195

Also I couldn't live without my sweater hanger, shoe rack, purse holder, and belt/tie holder. There are lots of great solutions at the container store.
  7. Senior Member
    I want to get custom closet organizers one day. I have my dream foundation closet cause it is practically a bedroom. I think the room is ten feet by ten feet. My plan is to just go to Home Depot or Lowes and get their closet organizers you can build.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here

all for all the ideas! I made some huge progress today. I may still go look into organizers too.....I have a few shelves to finish and then maybe I'll post some before/after pics
  9. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    all for all the ideas! I made some huge progress today. I may still go look into organizers too.....I have a few shelves to finish and then maybe I'll post some before/after pics
    I was going to ask for before pics so I had an idea of how to help!
  10. Senior Member
    Do you have an IKEA near you? They have some really good cheap organization stuff. Maybe use baskets on the shelves? I saw one thing where you get twine and wrap it all around a sturdy box to make cheap baskets. Also marshals and TJ max has baskets for cheap most of the time.