Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Carpet Cleaning

1. Regular Member

Carpet Cleaning

Advertisements
    Some advice for cleaning carpets? I have two dogs both whom have destroyed my carpet My 3 month old German Shepherd puppy has an accident every once and a while but is house broken for the most part now and my older dog is a boxer/pointer mix and drags mud into my house after digging holes outside. I have tried a steam cleaner which lasts for a few days but eventually the stains show back up I tried the cleaner that you are supposed to use with the machine and I tried water / vinegar mixture but still after a few days the stains came back. We cant replace the carpets because it is on base housing. Any advice? What do you guys use to deep clean carpets?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

When we were in Hawaii, we had red, horrible mud and a Yorkie puppy (and eventually a lab mutt) who dragged mud in. I would have to steam it 2 times a week or else the carpet just looked horrible and would be gross. I don't know if there's much more that you can do other than up your steaming because it is base housing so you don't want to do anything that may make it worse. I used the Bissell brand, I believe (green bottle), for heavy duty pet stains and odor even though we weren't dealing with accidents from either dog and focused on the steamer on the spots that were super bad.
  3. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    The stains are going to keep coming back no matter what you clean with. Only thing you can do is clean more often, because the steam cleaning/vinegar/and extc IS working if it's getting the stains up. Just after a few days though obviously there will be more dirt on the floors. Even from your own feet, and then factoring in a dog that likes to play in the dirt.. Your floors well should start looking like total crap within a few days of not cleaning them...So yeah only thing you can do is clean more often..

Also, you can buy "paw pipes", or any type dog wipes, and you can use those to wipe at least their feet off before letting the dogs back inside. Better yet use the wipes to give the whole dog a quick wipe down before re-entering the house. I mean if they don't have the dirt on them to tract all over your carpets. Then well your carpets will stay clean(ish) a little longer.

Also, as far as what I've used for dirt stains, grass stains, and extc. I've used paw magic and stuff like that with my "SpotBot(small carpet cleaner)", BUT whatever you've been using seems to work since you said the "Stains come back." I mean that is if the stains are in fact going away when you clean, and then just showing back up once more mud and other stuff is brought back inside... I would look more into trying to cut back as much of the mess coming in as possible... I your house on base has a yard where you can have a house. Even getting them out of the dirt, and housing them down would be a good idea too. You'd again have a chance of not having to worry about the grass, mud, extc on the carpets from them tracking it inside.
    Signature removed due to size.
  4. Senior Member
    We have white carpet and dogs. When they come in they know they have to sit and wait for me to wipe their paws off. We also have a area rug on the carpet where you first come in our house, it helps to catch the dirt that is still left on their paws.
  5. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Maybe you could hire a professional carpet cleaner? I read online that you should have your carpets professionally cleaned once a year
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

The bissell professional pet in the silver/gray bottle has helped a ton for my carpets and every once in a while I put a solution of OxyClean on the carpets then steam clean them.
  7. Regular Member
    I steamed them again today. Ive been steaming them every other week and I wipe off the dogs paws usually by the back door if they are muddy. My German Shepherd puppy has long hair so its a pain when she gets muddy but my boxer mix is easy dirt just falls off him. I also have a mat by the back door too. Ill just steam them once a week probably it usually lasts at least a week before the dirt comes back.