Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Reupholstering A Couch (And Other Decor Assistance)

1. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech

Reupholstering A Couch (And Other Decor Assistance)

Advertisements
    Have you ever reupholstered a couch? Do you have before and after pics? What kind of material did you use? What were some resources you used to get the project done?

I've been thinking about reupholstering our couch. We allow the dog on the couch and she has licked almost every surface area possible. It looks terrible with the splotches. I also want to add some color/pattern into the room. We live in post housing and never wanted to bother painting the walls (well, I wanted to but it'd be too much of a hassle dealing with housing once it was time to PCS).

I'm terrible with seeing the big/final picture when it comes to design. My decorating isn't very good. At all. I'd ask my stepmom since she's an interior designer but they're on vacation and I thought it'd be a good project for this week since DH is out in the field.

I suppose I'm asking for decorating advice, opinions, tips in general for this particular room and not just about reupholstering the couch. So any help is appreciated.

Is this something a single person could do or better to leave up to a professional? I haven't looking into it at all really, just need a change. I guess I could always just go for a slip cover but I wouldn't know what kind to get. Help?
    Last edited by Peekaboo; 06-23-2013 at 02:08 PM.
  2. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Very open to hearing suggestions on furniture placement as well.
  3. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Also wanted to add I love color combinations such as coral and tan, or turquoise and brown. I currently have lots of brown, but I'd like to add color and brighten it up. I'm leaning more towards adding coral tones.

I think I'm somewhere between contemporary and traditional.
  4. Senior Member
    duluth mn...it's a great city on a great lake!
    The only thing I can answer is the question about reupholstering furniture. I have a couch and two chairs that have been recovered by professionals, I would never attempt to do it on my own because I don't have the sewing skills or a machine heavy duty enough to sew through layers of heavy duty furniture fabric, also my furniture is all retro from the 50s and if the shop messed it up it was their responsibility to fix and they had way more experience than me.
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    pinterest has several pages with great tips on it. I've done simple dining chairs but not sofas. I've seen my mother do it, and it can be labor intensive but it can be cheaper to do it than buying a new couch, she was able to do it herself with an older heavy duty sewing machine. She did it with a twill/canvass green. it was nice and didn't wear out fast. it last around ten years but they always had at throw on it too.