Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Oh what's in a bedroom??

1. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries

Oh what's in a bedroom??

Advertisements
    I am really having a hard time figuring out how to decorate my bedroom. I honestly can't think of anything to do with it. My bathroom, kitchen, livingroom-they all have been put together and look good, have furniture and decorations. It's great.

My bedroom really has nothing going for it yet. I know my color scheme is gray with pops of deep purple and yellow, but that's about it. I have my bedding all put together, with several throw pillows of different sizes and designs to make up my color scheme but the rest of my room is empty and blank. I have one framed Harry Potter poster on the wall above my bed and then a 3-drawer small plastic dresser/container thing on either side of my bed as end tables.

That's it.

I bought a mirror that isn't QUITE full length, but is long and am trying to decide where to put it and how. I want to use it to make sure my outfits look alright but also be able to get close and put on make-up etc.

I don't have money for "substantial" furniture and honestly have no use for a dresser. I hang all my close or fold it on the shelf above in the closet.

It's just so empty and I can't even find anything to put on the walls. I'm thinking of getting music related pictures and decor for the walls but so far haven't found anything. I've looked A LOT.

Any tips, ideas, input??

Oh, and there is no lighting in the room at all but there IS a window in the room, but it is SO awkward-off to one side on the outside wall and it is very narrow.

2. Senior Member
    It might be nice to have an upholstered chair and/or a bench or chest at the foot of the bed. Scour Overstock, Criagslist, Freecycle, etc. and you can probably find something very inexpensive.

You can also buy curtains for the window, which is a great way to add color and make the room feel cozier, or if you or a friend can sew (even just the most basic skills), you can buy fabric at a discount store and make them yourself.

You might also consider vinyl wall clings.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It might be nice to have an upholstered chair and/or a bench or chest at the foot of the bed. Scour Overstock, Criagslist, Freecycle, etc. and you can probably find something very inexpensive.

You can also buy curtains for the window, which is a great way to add color and make the room feel cozier, or if you or a friend can sew (even just the most basic skills), you can buy fabric at a discount store and make them yourself.

You might also consider vinyl wall clings.
    I have wanted a nice lounging chair/bench/chest for the foot of my bed. I should look at craigslist more because everything at the stores are too expensive.

I have thought about vinyl wall clings, too! Just not sure what or where. I saw a bunch at Target yesterday but none of them really fit with what I was looking for. Ended up buying some for my livingroom. Do you know of any good places to look for a better variety?
  4. Senior Member
    I am a picture hoarder so I have picture frames in my bedroom on the walls. Your bedroom looks just like mine! haha my window is the same size and in the same corner! um as far as everything else goes I would just look for a nice chair or chest as stated above. If you can't find anything on craigslist I would look at marshalls or tj maxx in the homegoods stuff I found a cute table to put in my apartment there and they have chairs and stuff too.
    just keep swimming
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Can you take a picture of what is currently in your room? Like, bed position and anything else you might have, that would give us an idea of what other furniture/decor you can include.
  6. Senior Member
    I have this EXPEDIT Shelving unit - white - IKEA and it is amazing. Not sure if you have an ikea near you, but you could always look on craigslist too. It's great, I have everything on it. Books, movies, records, board games. It's amazing, I can have all my junk without looking like a hoarder
  7. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephaa2430 View Post
    I am a picture hoarder so I have picture frames in my bedroom on the walls. Your bedroom looks just like mine! haha my window is the same size and in the same corner! um as far as everything else goes I would just look for a nice chair or chest as stated above. If you can't find anything on craigslist I would look at marshalls or tj maxx in the homegoods stuff I found a cute table to put in my apartment there and they have chairs and stuff too.
    I have TONS of pictures too! Seriously, for my tiny apartment, I'm surprised I still have wall space.

I've looked at Marshalls but I'm sure I could go look there again, but I have NOT check TJ Maxx, so I'll check that out. But I swear, I've checked every furniture store and every home decor store around here. I've..... done lots of shopping. lol My livingroom has too many throw pillows now.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Biebz<3 View Post
    Can you take a picture of what is currently in your room? Like, bed position and anything else you might have, that would give us an idea of what other furniture/decor you can include.
    Ermm.. uh... eeeeeee. Theorhetically I can take a picture but... My room is a MESS!! It looks like a bomb went off and the shrapnel is clothes. But I will hopefully take care of that soon and then I will post an update in here with it, if that will help. But I'm open to moving my bed-seeing as it's just a large queen sized air mattress. But I kid you not, it's just the air mattress, those two little plastic shelve things and a framed poster on the wall. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by JRNemo View Post
    I have this EXPEDIT Shelving unit - white - IKEA and it is amazing. Not sure if you have an ikea near you, but you could always look on craigslist too. It's great, I have everything on it. Books, movies, records, board games. It's amazing, I can have all my junk without looking like a hoarder
    My books, movies and board games are on shelves in my livingroom, but my bookcase IS getting full and I will need to expand... that's not a half bad idea.

One thing I've been ruminating is setting up a station in my room to do my makeup and stuff at. I'm just not sure how it would all work. And I honestly don't have that much makeup or do mine all that often.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfoy View Post
    One thing I've been ruminating is setting up a station in my room to do my makeup and stuff at. I'm just not sure how it would all work. And I honestly don't have that much makeup or do mine all that often.
    I have a dresser with a mirror on it, and that's where I keep my makeup (that I never use )
  9. Senior Member
    A desk? A vanity? A bookshelf?
    I'm actually having the same issue with our bedroom right now. The bedroom in our new house is much bigger than the last one and it feels so empty.
    I did have the same problem in the kitchen but decided on a wine rack.