Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Where do you put your keepsakes?

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Where do you put your keepsakes?

Advertisements
    I've been putting this off for waaaayyy too long, but DH and I have a bunch of keepsakes from our relationship (and just important stuff from before we met too, like photos etc.) and I want to have somewhere to keep them that isn't just shoving them into a drawer or a plastic tub. Something to acknowledge that they're special. I don't want to display them, but just have a special place to put them.

My mom has a hope chest, and I like the idea of a hope chest, just the way our bedroom is set up there's not room for one and I don't want to have a hope chest if it's not in the bedroom. So that idea's out. But I know there's a ton of creative and crafty people on here and I'm curious where you keep that kind of thing!
  2. Senior Member
    lol in a shoebox in the closet. I guess I could get a nicer box for it, but I haven't. I don't have any brilliant idea for you lol sorry
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My husband got me a chest during one of his trips to Turkey. It's had varying locations in the home with the frequent moves, the last few times it's ended up in the guest room.

Maybe a lidded wicker basket that would slide into a shelf on a bookcase?
  4. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

I honestly have this little green hat box that has a few things in it. I like hat boxes because they used to be really nice and decorative. But I have so many keepsakes that they are everywhere. That box, shoe boxes, on display, I mean everywhere. I am realllllllllly interested in getting a hope chest. I like it specifically because I am one of those people who wants to pass things down to my children, and I would LOVE to my daughter to get it some day and see all of the "special things" I kept like letters from DH and the toys and stuffed animals he gave me, plus pictures and stuff from family that passed before she got to meet them (or was even thought of for that matter lol)

However, you mentioned that you dont have room for a hope chest so it really depends on how many keepsakes you have. Personally I like the hatbox. Its decorative, and it stores easily. Those are my MOST PRECIOUS THINGS though because they are usually pretty small. You could get a large jewelry stand (I bought mine for 60 bucks at walmart and its pretty sturdy its from better homes and gardens) and take out the jewelry dividers. Then separate the items by drawer, either by type or by date or by person that gave them to you.

Or you could find just a smaller wooden box at maybe an antique store, refinish it, and then you can either leave it plain or decorate it. That way they are safe in a wooden box but not a ginormous one in the middle of your bedroom. lol

5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think a hatbox is a really neat idea! I don't have enough to fill up a chest for sure lol ... it's mostly papers/cards/photos/etc. I dunno, I haven't had everything on one place in a while. Where do you buy hatboxes from?
  6. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I think a hatbox is a really neat idea! I don't have enough to fill up a chest for sure lol ... it's mostly papers/cards/photos/etc. I dunno, I haven't had everything on one place in a while. Where do you buy hatboxes from?
    Thats what sucks, I have no idea! lol. I got mine from.. uh.. someone? (not sure who) when I was really little. You could try amazon (I looked, but I didnt see much promise there) or I found these.. :

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...uctId=10003736

Round Boxes Sarah's Hat Boxes - makers Fabric Covered hat Boxes Box Speciality Packaging Hat Boxes oval boxes

But I dont know if you can buy online or anything. Sorry

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    You can get hatboxes and other decorative boxes at places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I have some in my dining room from Michael's for table linens and stuff!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    I would recommend a shadow box or a make a scrapbook with the pictures.

9. Senior Member
    ooo hatboxes! i have those lol. that was a good idea
  10. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Depends on what it is. I have tons of pictures, little trinkets and random stuff all over the apartment displayed in some way. Either hung up or set out. I have a four inch binder of all the letters we wrote to each other throughout middle and high school that I bust out sometimes when friends ask