Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into meal -planning?

1. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Getting into meal -planning?

Advertisements
    Any tips or suggestions on how to meal plan and then shop for said meal plan? I really need to start and I've planned out meals for the next three days but after that I'm stumped. I'm not a great cook so that doesn't help either. I wish I could hire a chef!

2. Senior Member
    I'll come be your chef especially in Hawaii! I need to start doing this, too. 5 years of culinary school and 9 times out of 10 we have chicken nuggets and French fries for dinner. Especially when DH is deployed. What types of meals are you looking for? How many are you feeding? I could come up with some ideas if you'd like. Even recipes.
  3. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyMama View Post
    I'll come be your chef especially in Hawaii! I need to start doing this, too. 5 years of culinary school and 9 times out of 10 we have chicken nuggets and French fries for dinner. Especially when DH is deployed. What types of meals are you looking for? How many are you feeding? I could come up with some ideas if you'd like. Even recipes.
    It's just DH & I so not that many mouths to feed. I'm probably looking for meals that aren't too complicated to make. Chicken, steak, beef, along those lines. I don't eat fish since I'm allergic to most and DH really only likes salmon or tilapia (pretty sure I'm spelling that wrong.)

I don't mind cleaning, ironing, laundry but cooking I could do without. I made meatballs tonight and DH ate them and went back for seconds and thirds so I take that as a good sign.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyatheart86 View Post
    It's just DH & I so not that many mouths to feed. I'm probably looking for meals that aren't too complicated to make. Chicken, steak, beef, along those lines. I don't eat fish since I'm allergic to most and DH really only likes salmon or tilapia (pretty sure I'm spelling that wrong.)

I don't mind cleaning, ironing, laundry but cooking I could do without. I made meatballs tonight and DH ate them and went back for seconds and thirds so I take that as a good sign.
    I can work with that. Are you looking for just dinner? I'm assuming that things you can make and then have leftovers would be ideal? That way, there's less cooking involved? Give me a couple days, and I'll come up with a list, and see what you think
  5. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyMama View Post
    I can work with that. Are you looking for just dinner? I'm assuming that things you can make and then have leftovers would be ideal? That way, there's less cooking involved? Give me a couple days, and I'll come up with a list, and see what you think
    Yup just dinner. Thank you so much!

6. Senior Member
    Yup just dinner. Thank you so much!
    No problem
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I love doing crock pot meals because its usually minimal work and minimal ingredients, also it usually has enough for leftovers. I get most of my recipes from Pinterest these day. What I do is I pick out roughly 6 recipes and write them down, then I go through the recipes and write everything I need on my grocery list. I don't assign specific meals to specific days I just look at my list every morning and decide what we will have for dinner.

I'm giving this a try tonight, it already smells so yummy http://picky-palate.com/2009/09/21/s...d-olive-salsa/
  8. Senior Member
    I use pintrest a lot! I get a lot of meal ideas from it, and then kraft.com, allrecipes, etc. I usually plan for two weeks at a time, or i did anyways. Now that I coupon I buy a lot of staples and what's cheap because I have recipes stored up to make something from whatever is in the house.

But I would start with pintrest!

9. who will drive my soul?
    who will drive my soul?

It's just my husband and I, too, so I find sometimes it's a little harder because I don't want to waste a ton of food! I usually plan a month of dinners at a time (save for a night or 2 for take-out or date nights) and then grocery shop every other Friday. I just grab my recipes for the upcoming two weeks and go down the ingredients lists to see what I have on hand and what I'll need.

I'm on Weight Watchers, so I get a lot of my recipes from there. I work 12 hour shifts, so once a week-ish I do a crockpot meal, and then I also make those meals large so we have leftovers for my long, working weekends. My husband is quite the picky eater (in that he likes MAN food!), so sometimes it's tough, but we do a lot of chicken and ground turkey.

I can send you a copy of my monthly meal plan if you'd like!
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OMG it's Andrea! View Post
    I can send you a copy of my monthly meal plan if you'd like!
    Can I have a copy (especially because you said your DH loves MAN food.. haha)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast