Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meal planning. HELP!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Weekly Activity
    3.68%

Bang Head Meal planning. HELP!

I'm trying to plan meals for the next two weeks that are low calorie and healthy, but also DH friendly. DH eats...well, nothing. I don't want to be mean and do the 'well that's what I'm making, so there' kind of thing but I can't cater to his mac and cheese, fried chicken diet if I'm going to lose any weight.

haaaalp me
  2. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    2.01%
    HIGHLY recommend this book Amazon.com: Secrets of a Skinny Chef: 100 Decadent, Guilt-Free Recipes (9781605295886): Jennifer Iserloh, Joy Bauer: Books I was very much in same situation as you and it saved my sanity. I need to get a new copy coz my got all wet Even ex DH who was entirely anti eating healthy loved every single dish in there. Especially the shrimp stew I think it was called - I so did not expect it as it looked so watery but gosh! And the brownie recipe - shocked (it is made with prunes and other healthy stuff. Weirdly enough BEST desert I have ever had - still to this day. Seriously every single one was just to die for. Low cal, healthy ingredients, yummy.

They sell it at barnes noble too and she has a website - the author - with recipes there too.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Weekly Activity
    3.68%
    Of that whole list there are a million things I'd eat, and one that DH will eat, the spiced wings.... see my dilemma?

He doesn't like avocado, fish, cream cheese, shrimp, tomatoes, spinach, broccoli, green beans... the list goes on.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Weekly Activity
    58.23%
    Stir fry, tacos (and you can make it a taco salad to be healthier), fajitas (fajita salad), grilled chicken and veggies, toss chicken in the crock pot, I also make stuff like pot roast and put it on lettuce to make a salad.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Weekly Activity
    58.23%
    Quote Originally Posted by briannanoel View Post
    Of that whole list there are a million things I'd eat, and one that DH will eat, the spiced wings.... see my dilemma?

He doesn't like avocado, fish, cream cheese, shrimp, tomatoes, spinach, broccoli, green beans... the list goes on.
    I think we have the same DH, except mine loves broccoli, it's basically the only veggie he will eat. I steam my veggies and if I want a different veggie I just throw that in with his broccoli.

Another option that my DH does is when I make chicken with spices and what not on it, my DH turns it into BBQ chicken by slathering it with sauce
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Weekly Activity
    65.6%
    Quote Originally Posted by briannanoel View Post

Psh, tell him real men eat everything. Seriously though, if he is being catered to then he wont change his eating habits. My dad was the same way- only steak and potatoes. Drove my mom nuts. She stopped telling him what was in stuff until after he tried it, liked it and then she would say 'well now you like ____' and he would be shocked. He started eating other stuff though, slowly. He may not have liked that stuff as a kid, as many kids dont, and now just thinks he doesnt like it.

At a certain point though, I would say 'only chicken and steak? fine, I am eating my avo, you can eat one too, or make your own food'
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Weekly Activity
    142.57%

Can you make some kind of deal with him where if you cook one meal he likes, then the next night you can cook a meal YOU want and he agrees to try it with an open mind, and then you switch off again? That's a good way you can work on steadily building up a larger menu to choose from.

DH is a bit pickier than I am, but this strategy has worked well for us! The latest thing he's fallen in love with is pad thai, I remember I used to have it all the time in Korea and he was like "I'm not eating that crap!" and two weeks ago I cooked some and he was going on and on about how delicious it was and how he can't believe he's missed out on it for so long.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Weekly Activity
    95.72%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast