Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Butterfly feeder

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Butterfly feeder

Advertisements
    A while ago I posted about how there are tons of butterflies in my yard. Well they have been coming around less lately. And the other day I saw a cat in my yard and when I went outside there were a bunch of butterfly wings on the ground.

DH suggested putting a butterfly feeder in our backyard and I looked it up and they have tons for sale. But it looks like you put sugar water in them, and I was worried about a bunch of wasps coming into the yard ... I wouldn't want them to sting the dogs.

Does anyone have one? Do they work to bring butterflies to the yard? And what about bees/wasps?
  2. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
  3. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    How about getting some "butterfly-friendly" plants from the local nursery. You could put them in planters and they'd be less likely to attract stinging insects.

Another option would be to mount the feeder fairly high so neither butterflies nor bees would be near your four-legged friends.

You may also have been getting migratory species that have headed north now.

I'll see if I can do some reading about feeders - we've used flowers primarily.

Butterflies are a blessing.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I thought about plants but I have a really bad track record of keeping them alive. Then again if they're outside, it might be better. I will look into that, I think Home Depot is having a sale on flowers.

And you're definitely right about butterflies being a blessing, it made me so happy when they started coming to the house!
  5. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Holy butterfly, Tojai, it looks like you're in the right place:

Look at this website:

How to Make Butterfly Food and Butterfly Feeders

Both the references are Texas based. I bet the Fort Hood library could get them for you through inter-library loan if they don't have them!

Butterfly Gardening in Containers, released by Texas A & M University (this may be a brochure - I'm looking) ETA:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/c...s/bflygdn.html

Central Texas Butterfly Gardening by the Univerity of Texas
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hey those are awesome ideas! Thanks for that site ... I may try the fruit thing.

We have a bird bath that I don't use anymore because the dogs try to get the birds, but it's pretty high up so I think it would be perfect for butterflies!
  7. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Hey those are awesome ideas! Thanks for that site ... I may try the fruit thing.

We have a bird bath that I don't use anymore because the dogs try to get the birds, but it's pretty high up so I think it would be perfect for butterflies!
    I was actually going to suggest a bird bath. I know they often are thirsty for water, too.

I remember seeing orange slices at the last butterfly garden I visited.

I think oranges also feed orioles or some other type of beautiful, brightly colored bird.
  8. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Found another site with this suggestion:

Consider keeping a bowl of wet sand or creating a mud puddle in your garden to encourage butterfly puddling.

Creating a Butterfly Garden

If you or DH is a handy person, page 3 of this guide has a design for a platform butterfly feeder that looks really cool:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...w7000_0950.pdf