Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: your first place

1. Senior Member

your first place

Advertisements
    DB and I are probably gonna get an apartment together when he gets back and we're both making enough money to afford it. I'm starting to save for it now. But I've been wondering how did you get everything you needed? Furniture, kitchen appliances, etc etc. Did you buy everything? Did you buy it brand new? Were things gifted? Around how much did those things cost you?

I'm trying to get an idea of exactly how much were gonna need just to furnish an apartment.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to my life right now. I just had a desk and bookshelf delivered this morning and I have to fully construct them, which I was not expecting.

I used Goodwill for a lot of kitchen things - plates, bowls, cups, etc. I also got my living room table set there ($30!), a lamp for the living room, an armchair and a floor lamp for the guest bedroom. It's really inexpensive and looks great and is a good temporary placeholder if you want to spruce things up later but just want to get furnished now!

My apartment came with W/D, dishwasher, and fridge, but I had to buy a microwave, which I got new but on sale at Target ($50). I bought the bed new, that was about $800 for the mattress, box spring, bed frame and delivery/setup. Furniture warehouses are great, definitely cheaper than department stores.

And finally, IKEA. I just went for the first time yesterday. Holy crap that place is huge. But I got a dining room table, 4 chairs with cushions, a desk chair and several other, not as big, things for under $300. You can do the construction yourself or pay extra for someone else to, but honestly, the instruction manuals are adorable. They're almost entirely images, no words, but really helpful. The only thing I got confused putting together was the plastic bag holder that I bought. Don't look at me like that.

Really depends what your priorities are. What you really want to be new, what doesn't matter as much, how much work you're willing to put into building it vs paying extra for someone else to put it together. Good luck!

I'm Baaaaaaaack
  3. Senior Member
    We got a lot of furniture from our parents, Our entertainment center, bed and bed frame, and his mom bought our dining room table. We bought our couch, coffee table and end tables on base for pretty cheap. Because I had gone to college first, and had my own apartment, I had a lot of kitchen stuff like dishes, but his mom really helped us and bought us glasses, more dishes, and kitchen towels, and tupperware.

When we got married we received nice silverware, wine glasses, and a crock pot (). Oh, and some other stuff.
    I bought our bedroom stuff, curtains, and dresser. We did pour quite a bit of money into our apartment, and we aren't done with decorating. I still want a rug and throw pillows for the living room and some other things. It gets expensive. Try to get the things you need from other places, hand-me-downs are free!

ETA: We rented our washer and dryer instead of buying one and pay 50 bucks a month. We also had to buy a microwave, but my MIL got us that for Xmas. I bought a vacuum for 50 bucks, and trust me that's a necessity.

4. sassypants
    sassypants
    Ikea

Good will
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We both had things we bought in college and things our parents had given us. We didn't have a couch for quite a while but it wasn't a big deal The one we ended up buying was only $300.

Now that I think about it a lot of our big stuff (TV, tables, etc.) we got from people we knew who were getting rid of old stuff. The apartment is quite an eclectic blend.
  6. Senior Member
    GOODWILL!!!! You would be so shocked what you could get (even new items) at Goodwill or any consignment shop for that matter. A lot of things we had were hand-me-downs, too. And I did a lot of shopping at Walmart for things like bath towels and such. My best advice is really try to be aware of and go easy with electricity you use, until you get your first bills, so you know what youre dealing with and what you can afford. Good luck!
    Gotta look this life in the eye.
  7. eres el amor de mi vida <33
    eres el amor de mi vida <33
    Goodwill, ikea, thrift stores, craigstlist will be your best friends! Also when you find stuff you like if it's on sale pick it up now so your ready for when the time to move does come.

We pretty much inherited a TON of furniture and my parents bought us a mattress so that was taken care of. I only had to buy a couch for the living room. Everything else was given to us or I had left over from college.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekka View Post
    GOODWILL!!!! You would be so shocked what you could get (even new items) at Goodwill or any consignment shop for that matter. A lot of things we had were hand-me-downs, too. And I did a lot of shopping at Walmart for things like bath towels and such. My best advice is really try to be aware of and go easy with electricity you use, until you get your first bills, so you know what youre dealing with and what you can afford. Good luck!
    omg yes. Our feb. bill was 140 dollars Before my husband realized the air cannot always be on 60 and you can't leave every light on in the house.

9. il Mio cuore il tuo per sempre
    il Mio cuore il tuo per sempre
    A lot of the furniture was hand me downs from family.

The dishes were from a friend, she was clearing out her cabinets.

The other stuff I got from Target, Walmart, the dollar store, Big Lots and TJ Maxx.
  10. Senior Member
    Family gifted furniture, Goodwill, Secondhand stores, antique malls, Ikea and Fred Meyer (Pacific Northwest), Yard sales

We furnish slow and look until we find exactly what we want and for the price we are willing to pay.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast