Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Need opinions on dining room table!

1. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.

Help Need opinions on dining room table!

Advertisements
    Pretty pwease?

The websites won't let me link a picture but here's the link:

Different URL so you don't have to sign up for Joss & Main - http://www.cymax.com/Home-Styles-Jam...ny-5535-31.htm

Joss & Main URL, the original with the good price - https://www.jossandmain.com/Jamaican...1033~E549.html

I found this pretty sucker for sale on the Joss & Main website for $179.95. It's an awesome size and can have a leaf inserted, which is what I want, but I'm not so sure about the quality... DH and I have had a lot of trouble with low-quality furniture marketed as high-quality (made from MDF, fake looking "wood", veneered and easily scratched, etc.) and this table's description on the J&M website says that it's made from "solid wood and wood veneers". Red flag?

I don't know. It's such a good deal, and I'm so cheap
    What do you guys think?

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Can you C&P what the description says? Whenever I click on the link, there's a pop-up to join the site and I can't x it out.

I don't necessarily think that $179 for just a table is "cheap", I think you're getting a decent deal, although there's never any way to know for sure until it arrives. I'd check their return policy, and if that's sketch, I'd stay away.
    "whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." -emily bronte
    fashion lust!
    http://www.iwouldtotallywearthat.blogspot.com
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It won't let me look at much of the page, it put this thing up asking me to join the site that I can't figure out how to exit out of.

What I can see looks pretty, but my understanding is that MDF and plywood can legally be termed as solid wood. Can you email them and ask them what they mean by solid wood? Most reputable places will answer questions.
  4. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by candypants View Post
    Can you C&P what the description says? Whenever I click on the link, there's a pop-up to join the site and I can't x it out.

I don't necessarily think that $179 for just a table is "cheap", I think you're getting a decent deal, although there's never any way to know for sure until it arrives. I'd check their return policy, and if that's sketch, I'd stay away.
    I put up a different URL to a different site! The new URL also has more pictures.

I guess I think of $179 as cheap because all the dining tables of a similar size that I've seen on the economy here are considered cheap when they're 600E. Also, our bed frame was $500 on sale (we think we got a good deal ) so I just try to compare, which I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Also, there pretty much is no return policy, anything bought from the site is unreturnable. But that's because it's a website like Zulily and I believe the table is also being discontinued.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Welp, it says it retails for like $412, and it's just discounted. So maybe that's a good sign?

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I'd rather be able to see it in person, see how sturdy it is, what it's made of, and whether or not the stain will match. Pictures can be deceiving.
    "whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." -emily bronte
    fashion lust!
    http://www.iwouldtotallywearthat.blogspot.com
    Banned
    Quite honestly for a quality piece of furniture, particularly a table and chairs, I wouldn't be spending anything less than $400, and that is the low end.

When it comes to furniture you get what you pay for, and the real wood pieces cost a lot more than veneer and particle board.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ok, I think the table is pretty, but it says Poplar hardwood, which is a bit misleading. Hardwood simply means that the tree has leaves. It's actually a pretty soft wood, leading to dings and scratches. It has veneers, which if poorly done and low quality can scratch and peel but would protect the soft poplar if they are high quality veneers. The engineered woods means MDF or plywood. Which can be good or bad, depending on where it's used and how you feel about it.

No return policy would make me leery.
  8. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

You could probably find the exact same thing at the furniture section in Big Lots. Something screams red flags about this. It just depends on the amount of time and use you are hoping to get out of it.

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  9. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchored2aSailor View Post
    Quite honestly for a quality piece of furniture, particularly a table and chairs, I wouldn't be spending anything less than $400, and that is the low end.

When it comes to furniture you get what you pay for, and the real wood pieces cost a lot more than veneer and particle board.
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    Ok, I think the table is pretty, but it says Poplar hardwood, which is a bit misleading. Hardwood simply means that the tree has leaves. It's actually a pretty soft wood, leading to dings and scratches. It has veneers, which if poorly done and low quality can scratch and peel but would protect the soft poplar if they are high quality veneers. The engineered woods means MDF or plywood. Which can be good or bad, depending on where it's used and how you feel about it.

No return policy would make me leery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    You could probably find the exact same thing at the furniture section in Big Lots. Something screams red flags about this. It just depends on the amount of time and use you are hoping to get out of it.
    Thank you ladies for all of your opinions, they really are valued!

Annnnnnnnnd I'm agreeing with all of you and am going to step away from this table...I'd rather spend my money on furniture I know is good quality

- Ralph Waldo Emerson