Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Halp!

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • On Base

6 66.67%
  • Off Base

3 33.33%

Thread: Help Me out with my little conundrum on moving..

1. Banned
    Banned

Shock Help Me out with my little conundrum on moving..

Advertisements
    I'm not sure this is really the right forum, but I hope it is. It's about living situations.

Currently, my DH, me and my DSD's live in Sicily, on base, in a big(ish) townhouse. It's got 3 big bedrooms, living and dining room, a reasonable kitchen and great storage.

As many of you know, we will shortly be moving back to our old duty station. Because we've been stationed there before, so we know what to expect when it comes to housing.

Anyway, on to the conundrum, My DH's rank entitles him to a 3 bedroom, but, it is unlikely we would be offered a 3 bedroom, because it will be just me and Dh (who will be at sea anyway) and our baby-to-be (DSD's moving back to the states). SO we can either wait a good amount of time and be offered housing outside of the main base (either 15/20 minute drive or a 45 minute drive depending on which housing they put us in), or take a 2 bedroom which are usually available right away.

The 2 beds are 880sq ft. SO they are very small. They have a reasonable kitchen, pantry, etc as well as all of my creature comforts (Oven, Dishwasher, Heating...etc). These apartments although small, do offer pretty good storage (linen closet, etc), too. It also gives me the benefit of being on base with a new baby... although it also presents the problem of living on base Of course all the other benefits of living on base like paying no electricity, being close to NEX/com and the gym.

The other option I'm considering is a place off base. It's basically an american-style living arrangement. It's a 3 bedroom, about 1000sq ft.. About a 15/20 minute drive from the base. The benefits: away from base (can be a good and bad thing), 3 bedrooms, does have an oven and a dishwasher, but no central heating (heating units) and very little storage.

I am so confused about which option to make. I know I will have to choose an option soon after (as in, a couple of days) we arrive, because I am soo anti-hotel-style living, and DH will probably be on the ship.

Living on base here in Sicily is so beneficial, but I'm not sure how much has changed at our new duty station. When we used to live out there, people were happy to travel out in town. Here, if you live out in town, and you want to have friends, you pretty much have to travel out to housing, as no one will really leave the base, which makes it hard to have friends. it's also easier for access to babysitters, CDC, etc. I guess that is my biggest trepidation about moving out in town again. We did it when we first lived here and it was a very lonely existence, part of the reason we moved on base, and probably the best thing we did. However....at our old duty station, we lived out in town, and we loved it... but we have a different lifestyle now.

If you live out in town, you get paid more too, as the Navy will pay you for your utilities. So we would make an extra $900 or so a month, but we would probably end up spending close to half, if not more, on utilities, so its really only an extra 2-300$/month at the most.

I am seriously, so indecisive. If you were in my situation, which would you choose? Would you suck it up and live in the small 2 bed on base for the convenience, or would you move out in town for the bigger place?

If you want more info, let me know.
  2. Senior Member
    Off base + more money for sure. Especially with a new baby that $300 a month will help a lot.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I chose off base. Honestly, I prefer to get the chance to actually live in the country I am in, plus you still get the comforts of base with a short car ride (or a bit of a longer one, but still). Not to mention once your little one starts moving around you will really hate not having more room for them and the impossibly large amount of toys and baby things that invariably make there way into your home.
  4. Senior Member
    I vote off base. It sounds like the off base living situation is much better than living off base in Sicily. Plus you could save money, have more room and you aren't even that far from base
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I added a poll
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm am no help even though I lived in the two bedrooms! It was reeeaaaallly small but that wasn't a problem for us too much since we hardly had anything when we got there. I really did love the convenience of being On base *cough*starbucks*cough* and I loved that dh was able to walk or walk to work as well
  7. Banned
    Banned
    hands down I would live off base
  8. Senior Member
    Having lived off base in Japan with no central heating and having to use the wall units or kerosene to get the house semi-warm I would and did choose a smaller house on base. It was miserable in the winter, and hard to cool in the summer. The humidity was really bad and almost everyone we know had issues with mold and mildew. We also didn’t pocket much if any of the utilities allowance because it was so expensive. Add to that the cost of gas for your car and possibly tolls or train fare to get to the base, I don’t think you would even break even. Our off base house was 4 bedroom 1900sqft. We moved to an 1100sqft 3 bedroom, with 4 kids. Zero regrets.
  9. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    I'd stay on base...
  10. Wife to Debra; Twinzie to Manderz; Text Buddy to Cara*Bear!
    Wife to Debra; Twinzie to Manderz; Text Buddy to Cara*Bear!
    Aren't you coming to Yokosuka?

If you are, the only two bedrooms are in the high rises and would be this:

Right?

I'm just curious, because I'll be moving there soon and I thought all the two bedrooms were set up this way.

A picture paints a thousand words, it's true.
    But it's still not enough for how I feel about you.