Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grocery Shopping????

1. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3

Grocery Shopping????

Advertisements
    So, I'm generally a domestic idiot. DH is the cleaner and the cooker... I'm more of an "Ohh I can sort of do laundry and go to college because that's all in books" type of person. I don't know how to be domestic. BUT, DH is gone, and in 12 days [klsda;jfklsdajfkl;sajdf!!!!!!!] I'm moving into our first apartment. aka-- first time I've ever lived away from home.

So, what do I buy at the grocery store? I know that's such a dumb question, but I know if I just go in blind I'll grab chips, ranch, ketchup, water, and a whole bunch of soup... and eggs and milk. Nothing that amounts to a meal.

Am I supposed to just go and get random stuff... plan for this trip... meal plan for a week or two so that I know WHAT to even purchase? I'm lost. I'm also going to try this phenomenon of "couponing"

I need help!!!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I make a list of a weeks worth of meals then go buy the ingredients. Be warned it'll be expensive the first time since you won't have any of the staples yet!
  3. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    I make a list of a weeks worth of meals then go buy the ingredients. Be warned it'll be expensive the first time since you won't have any of the staples yet!
    My mom already warned me that the first few trips will be pricy, because I won't have like, oil and flour and all that type of stuff. I'm nervous. More nervous about grocery shopping than moving, actually!
  4. Senior Member
    Look up a week's worth of recipes and just start there! Milk, eggs, breakfast & lunch items... Getting started is the annoying part! Once you've got that down, you've got it made
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My general/staple items (keep in mind... I have all my condiments/sauces/dressings already):

- Chicken breasts (4-6)
    - Cheap(er) steaks/cuts of beef (for a couple meals)
    - A bit of deli meat (ham, turkey...)
    - 1-2 Onions
    - 1 head of garlic
    - Lettuce (romaine)
    - 1 bag of Carrots
    - Celery
    - 1 bag of potatoes
    - 2-3 sweet potatoes
    - Eggs
    - Milk
    - Yogurt
    - Cheese
    - Bread
    - Bacon/Sausage
    - Cereal
    - A couple snacks (fruit cups/jello/granola bars)
    - And of course... a few frozen meals/pizzas (hey - I live alone!)

I always have a few cans of soup at home, too... but the list above is usually what I will go out and buy when I have "nothing" and that lasts me about 2 weeks without really needing much else!

Think of what you and DH like to cook/eat... get those to start off with... then, try something new and exciting! Best of luck
  6. Senior Member
    The first couple times will be a little rough. I also plan out meals for at least a week and shop for ingredients. Think about what you will eat for breakfast and lunch too. It gets pretty easy and then fun..... then it eventually turns into an annoying chore you have to do so enjoy it while it's fun
  7. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by br33 View Post
    My general/staple items (keep in mind... I have all my condiments/sauces/dressings already):

- Chicken breasts (4-6)
    - Cheap(er) steaks/cuts of beef (for a couple meals)
    - A bit of deli meat (ham, turkey...)
    - 1-2 Onions
    - 1 head of garlic
    - Lettuce (romaine)
    - 1 bag of Carrots
    - Celery
    - 1 bag of potatoes
    - 2-3 sweet potatoes
    - Eggs
    - Milk
    - Yogurt
    - Cheese
    - Bread
    - Bacon/Sausage
    - Cereal
    - A couple snacks (fruit cups/jello/granola bars)
    - And of course... a few frozen meals/pizzas (hey - I live alone!)

I always have a few cans of soup at home, too... but the list above is usually what I will go out and buy when I have "nothing" and that lasts me about 2 weeks without really needing much else!

Think of what you and DH like to cook/eat... get those to start off with... then, try something new and exciting! Best of luck

Thank you! DH won't be home till June, so what he wants doesn't matter yet. So it's only stuff for me! This sounds like a very basic starting point for me, and stuff I could definitely make Thank you so much!!
  8. verabot89
    verabot89
    Like PPs have said, plan for meals and buy the ingredients. After a while you'll get into a habit of what meals you eat often and it will become easier to be like "gotta get a head of lettuce and 3 squash" or whatever. It's also not a bad idea to buy a bunch of chicken breasts, ground beef, etc., separate it, and freeze it. That way you always have meat on hand and just need to buy your sides/veggies.
  9. Senior Member
    I also plan for a week's worth of meals at a time. Then when I'm brainstorming the grocery list, I'll divide my "draft" list into categories--meal ingredients, staples, baking ingredients, snacks. That way I don't forget anything. THEN I organize the list according to the layout of the grocery store. But I'm kind of anal like that.
  10. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    What Emma said

And make sure to check the prices. Usually, there's like 5 different things of the same product but one is a whole lot cheaper & taste exactly the same.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast