Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sealing floors

1. Senior Member

Sealing floors

Advertisements
    Has anyone ever sealed their tile floors themselves? Or did you hire a company to do it?

Our kitchen/entry/bathroom/laundry room downstairs is large travertine tiles. I can see that the kitchen is starting to hold stains and getting to be a different color, so I think its time to seal it. There is pretty big grout between the tiles and its getting very dirty.

I was thinking about doing a DIY. Just hiring a maid service to come and scrub the floor down really really well, then buying sealant for it.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  2. Moderator

My mom tiled/sealed her kitchen, entry, landing and two bathrooms herself. I can't tell you anything about how to do it, only that she was utterly untrained/uneducated on how to do it, looked up info online and in books, and did a FABULOUS job. So it can be done! It was a ton of work though- I'm honestly shocked she managed it, with her bad knees.
  3. Senior Member
    Ah I'm googling it... and apparently its a bit more complicated than I thought.

There are so many different types of tile, cleaner, sealant!

I can tell for sure that there is something wrong with the kitchen floor, because the floor in my bathroom still looks nice and new and clean, and the kitchen just doesn't. Maybe I should call up the contractor... but I doubt he would know what to do about it either.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early