Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of smoke smell and flies

1. eres el amor de mi vida <33
    eres el amor de mi vida <33
    Lv. Percent
    32.69%

Getting rid of smoke smell and flies

Advertisements
    I need help! I've been febreezing, using scent absorbing stuff (from Lowe's), and burning scensty stuff. But the smell still lingers. I can't vacuum with the carpet cleaner stuff yet cause I don't get my vacuum til next weekend. Any easy way to get rid of the smoke smell?

Next because of all the deliveries there are flies everywhere! I want to get rid of them ASAP, but would like a easier solution than getting that icky fly paper stuff. Anybody have something that works really well?

TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    62.04%
    I would say openining up the windows for the smoke smell but i don't think that'll help with the fly problem.
    Baking cookies is a temporary fix to smell
  3. Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    Lv. Percent
    73.18%
    This is a great article to help I know my mom went through the same issue when a skunk got under the farmhouse

http://householdremedies.org/cigaret...mell-in-house/
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%
    I may have missed a post -- but what is the smoke smell from?

I swear by white vinegar for a ton of things, it absorbs odors wonderfully and flies will land in glasses of it and die.

The larger the surface area of the vinegar, the faster it works. When I cook bacon, I pour some into a 8X8 in glass dish and set in on the counter overnight. When I come down in the morning, the bacon smell is gone and there will be flies, gnats and moths in it.

I also wipe the walls of the fireplace with vinegar in the spring when I clean it out for the season. Gets rid of that smell like a champ.

If the smoke smell is really bad, you can put out pieces of charcoal, the stuff you get for bbq grills, and it will absorb odor. The cheaper the brand the better, and don't get the instant light stuff that has lighter fluid already in it.

HTH!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommie2My4Angels View Post
    This is a great article to help I know my mom went through the same issue when a skunk got under the farmhouse

How To Get Rid of Cigarette Smoke Smell in House | Household Remedies
    That is an awesome link! Thanks for sharing it!
  6. eres el amor de mi vida <33
    eres el amor de mi vida <33
    Lv. Percent
    32.69%
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    I may have missed a post -- but what is the smoke smell from?

I swear by white vinegar for a ton of things, it absorbs odors wonderfully and flies will land in glasses of it and die.

The larger the surface area of the vinegar, the faster it works. When I cook bacon, I pour some into a 8X8 in glass dish and set in on the counter overnight. When I come down in the morning, the bacon smell is gone and there will be flies, gnats and moths in it.

I also wipe the walls of the fireplace with vinegar in the spring when I clean it out for the season. Gets rid of that smell like a champ.

If the smoke smell is really bad, you can put out pieces of charcoal, the stuff you get for bbq grills, and it will absorb odor. The cheaper the brand the better, and don't get the instant light stuff that has lighter fluid already in it.

HTH!
    Whoever was in the house before us smoked inside which is a
    I'm going to try the white vinegar once I go to the store and get some!
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    16.76%
    Smoke smell, no idea. For the flies, we are having the same issue. They are so bad when we open the door tons fly in. I went and about some fly trap bags. I have them all over my backyard. They are helping, but there is always a fly or two that comes in the house when walking in.

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%
    Quote Originally Posted by izzy View Post
    Whoever was in the house before us smoked inside which is a
    I'm going to try the white vinegar once I go to the store and get some!
    Smoke smell is gonna be tough because it just gets everywhere. I would honestly wipe everything you could with vinegar. I would also change filters and things like that in case the smell is trapped in them.
    Banned
    Lv. Percent
    44.33%
    You need to wash every surface in your house. Walls, cabinets, ceiling, doors, windows, etc. You need to steam clean the carpet-probably a few times.
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    87.32%
    Depending on the flooring and wall coverings in your house, the smoke smell may be pretty costly to get rid of. Walls may need to be repainted, ducts cleaned and carpets professionally steam cleaned. The smell really really gets everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast