Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me beautify

1. Moderator

Help me beautify

Advertisements
    ... this space.

The cords can't be removed- it's obviously meant for a TV, so that's where the cable and internet plug in. So cords have to stay there. Unfortunately, it's too high up for the TV. It just wasn't well thought out. It's like they put in the fireplace and then said... hmmm something needs to go there. And built a TV cubby. And didn't even paint it to match the rest of the house.

For a better idea of what it looks like and how it fits into the living room:

At Christmastime, the mantle is decorated. There's normally not STUFF on the mantle, but I just finished cleaning and re-arranging the living room, so there's some stuff leftover. I can't paint the wood, by the way, because we rent.

Any ideas of how to beautify this utterly non-functional space?
  2. I'm so much cooler online
    I'm so much cooler online
    I would see if you can install some kind of curtains. thats what I would try to do
  3. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    I would zip-tie/bread-tie all the cords to clean them up and minimize the clusterfuck/cord/clutter. Then I'd take 2 or 3 framed pictures to block the outlets, and then put a bunch of little ones around those...
  4. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Stick a radio up there!
  5. Preaching from the book of Johnny Cash...
    Preaching from the book of Johnny Cash...
    We have plantation shutters. They look great
  6. Senior Member
    I would zip tie the cords to try to minimize/organize them and then put some plants (fake or real) on the wood part to hide the cords and add some pictures or something on the mantle.
  7. Moderator

the whole thing is such a waste of space. The fireplace is UGLY (and we have never used it in a year and a half), the carpet-to-tile transition is sloppy and tacky... I wish they had just left the corner empty. Would make this room so much easier to deal with.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Hang a blind
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    the whole thing is such a waste of space. The fireplace is UGLY (and we have never used it in a year and a half), the carpet-to-tile transition is sloppy and tacky... I wish they had just left the corner empty. Would make this room so much easier to deal with.
    I think it could be really pretty. You just have to make it the center of attention in the room and decorate it, that's what it was made for. To go along with my plant idea, you could even put a fake plant with vines on top of it.
  10. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    I think it could be really pretty. You just have to make it the center of attention in the room and decorate it, that's what it was made for. To go along with my plant idea, you could even put a fake plant with vines on top of it.
    I do have a super rockin Peace Lily that has survived several near-death experiences that could go up there.

I do think putting pictures up there would be good, but I'm going to have to re-frame the ones I have and find stands for them somewhere.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast