Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: stock piles

1. Senior Member

stock piles

Advertisements
    Since DH is getting out here really soon I started to think about what we need to start stock piling. I do coupon, I got out of it for a little while but I missed it so we are doing it again.

I'm thinking of stock piling the basics: toliet paper, power towels, lysol wipes, diapers, wipes, canned gooed, and firewood.

Any other suggestions?
  2. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..
    basically go off the sales and your coupons. I think its always nice to stock up on things you go through so quickly like cereal, canned goods (we go through numerous cans of beans during the winter for taco soup and chili), water if you buy bottled, cleaning supplies like detergent or fabreeze, you can also think about canning

Ive just started getting into it this week and I am really excited about being able to create our own pickles, pastas, fruits, applie pie mixtures, our own pumpkin mush, etc. Its a good way to stock up and save money throughout the year.

as its getting colder a very good item thats always on sale and has coupons is soup.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    A suggestion, and see whether it fits your husband. When my wife comes back from deployment, even on vacation she LOVES to go to malls and stores and stuff. Normally she leaves all the shopping to me.
    Since she is spending a year in a place where the closest thing to a store may be smaller than a 7-11 with less selection, it is a huge change. To her, that is one of the things being back. She can shop in these huge stores.

Maybe get the coupons together, and get some basics before he comes back, but he may get excited about being able to walk through a huge store again and be able to make choices etc, and spend money, and well..do everything he has NOT been able to do over the last year,

Also, after maybe only having a choice of two cereals in the morning, he now HATES what he used to enjoy, because that's all he had.
    I'm not expressing this too well, but hopefully you get what I mean.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Condoms?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyGirlfriend-x View Post
    basically go off the sales and your coupons. I think its always nice to stock up on things you go through so quickly like cereal, canned goods (we go through numerous cans of beans during the winter for taco soup and chili), water if you buy bottled, cleaning supplies like detergent or fabreeze, you can also think about canning

Ive just started getting into it this week and I am really excited about being able to create our own pickles, pastas, fruits, applie pie mixtures, our own pumpkin mush, etc. Its a good way to stock up and save money throughout the year.

as its getting colder a very good item thats always on sale and has coupons is soup.
    Thank you! We go through a lot of stuff like that too. Plus I'm looking for cheaper recipes to make since neither of us have a job at this point and will be living solely off of unemployment and savings until one of us does get a job. If you have any recipes that would be super helpful too!

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    A suggestion, and see whether it fits your husband. When my wife comes back from deployment, even on vacation she LOVES to go to malls and stores and stuff. Normally she leaves all the shopping to me.
    Since she is spending a year in a place where the closest thing to a store may be smaller than a 7-11 with less selection, it is a huge change. To her, that is one of the things being back. She can shop in these huge stores.

Maybe get the coupons together, and get some basics before he comes back, but he may get excited about being able to walk through a huge store again and be able to make choices etc, and spend money, and well..do everything he has NOT been able to do over the last year,

Also, after maybe only having a choice of two cereals in the morning, he now HATES what he used to enjoy, because that's all he had.
    I'm not expressing this too well, but hopefully you get what I mean.
    Thank you for that suggestion! DH has been on light duty the past year and a few months so he hasn't had to be deployed or go anyway for training or anything. With that said and since I love to shop we've been shopping quite a bit. He actually hates it so I guess it works out in my advantage.

I hope your wife makes it home safe and soon!

Quote Originally Posted by WonHimFromTheSea View Post
    Condoms?
    I think we are good on those for a little while. Funny story: I bought them off of Amazon and they had subscribe and save so I literally saved 30% off of them. Apparently they are a needed Amazon Mom item...
  6. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..
    Quote Originally Posted by corpsmanwife83 View Post
    Thank you! We go through a lot of stuff like that too. Plus I'm looking for cheaper recipes to make since neither of us have a job at this point and will be living solely off of unemployment and savings until one of us does get a job. If you have any recipes that would be super helpful too!

Also: shampoo's, conditioners, toothpaste, mouthwash, toothbrushes, body wash, shaving cream and razors, etc.

Taco Soup (cheap and makes a lot)
    1 lbs Hamburger or Turkey Meat (cheaper and healthier and you cant taste the diff)
    1 Can Pinto Beans
    1 Can Corn (I buy the southwest style corn)
    1 Can Red Kidney Beans
    1 Can Black Beans
    1 Can Rotel
    1 Can Green Chilies
    1 Packet Taco Seasoning

Mix up hamburger and brown, add in the taco seasoning until well mixed. Add in all the canned food and stir, cover and let heat for about 5 minutes stirring it up. Once its all warm you can serve it like that, add sour cream or cheese, or even frito's. I also like Catalyna dressing on mine and leftovers heat up really well; coming from someone who -hates- leftovers. You can eat this cold too and add in some lettuce.

A lot of caserole type dishes too. I know we make this tater-tot caserole and its just tots, sour cream, cheese, maybe cream cheese I cant remember

look up blogs and you can find some really nifty blogging food recipes that have tons more options.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyGirlfriend-x View Post
    Also: shampoo's, conditioners, toothpaste, mouthwash, toothbrushes, body wash, shaving cream and razors, etc.

Taco Soup (cheap and makes a lot)
    1 lbs Hamburger or Turkey Meat (cheaper and healthier and you cant taste the diff)
    1 Can Pinto Beans
    1 Can Corn (I buy the southwest style corn)
    1 Can Red Kidney Beans
    1 Can Black Beans
    1 Can Rotel
    1 Can Green Chilies
    1 Packet Taco Seasoning

Mix up hamburger and brown, add in the taco seasoning until well mixed. Add in all the canned food and stir, cover and let heat for about 5 minutes stirring it up. Once its all warm you can serve it like that, add sour cream or cheese, or even frito's. I also like Catalyna dressing on mine and leftovers heat up really well; coming from someone who -hates- leftovers. You can eat this cold too and add in some lettuce.

A lot of caserole type dishes too. I know we make this tater-tot caserole and its just tots, sour cream, cheese, maybe cream cheese I cant remember

look up blogs and you can find some really nifty blogging food recipes that have tons more options.
    Thanks so much! We tortilla soup and chili too! Gotta love different ways of making something taste good! .
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Do you have a deep freezer? I invested in a small deep freezer at Sears many years ago, it has survived the military moves and has been a blessing to be able to stock up when frozen veggies and bread are on sale and have great coupons. I also grow veggies in the summer and it's great to have the extra room to freeze my own veggies and sauces that I make.

It's an investment at first, but it has more than paid for itself for us in the long run. It may not be a good thing to get right now, but once you guys get the employment thing sorted out, it may be something to consider in the future. It really opens up the sales and coupons you can take advantage of.