• Other (expalin )

5 20.83%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy a friend's or find my own?

1. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made

Buy a friend's or find my own?

Advertisements
    DH & I are moving onto base soon so we need to find a washer & dryer.
    A friend of ours is getting a new one so they wanted to sell their old one on craigslist for $200 but offered it to us for $150.

Their dryer works fine, just needs a bit of cleaning.
    Their washer on the other hand is missing the cycle knob & I can honestly never figure out how to work it because the middle part goes off balance if you don't do it correctly & then it doesn't work properly until you fix it. You just have to set it back, which is really easy but for instance yesterday when we used it, it started to kinda sway towards the front of the machine & he had to push it back...

So my question, should we just take this one or should we just try to find a better one for around the same price or a little more on craigslist? Buying a brand new washer & dryer is out of the question.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Eh, I'd keep looking if I were you. If DH and I hadn't been able to find a townhouse with W&D already included, we were going to either Craigslist or try to set up a payment plan for new ones from Lowes or Sears. But TBH, we couldn't afford the payments with all of our other bills and loan payments (his car, my school), so we were leaning towards Craigslist. You can find better quality than that for a similar price. I wouldn't settle for ones missing knobs or pieces
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I would go with the friends and try and save for a new washer and dryer.
  4. It is what it is....
    It is what it is....
    I would keep looking as well.

We have a website here called "Fort Lewis Yard Sales"..it is like craigslist but where people who are typically PCSing will list stuff they want to sell and it is usually cheap. Do you guys have something like that for your base? It has come in handy quite a few times with us buying big items.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would go look at the local consignment shops!!

I got a washer drier set for like two hundred. Less than a year old but fairly well used as the couple had an infant son. I am very happy with mine, and it has never given me a problem. Consignment shops will only take working, good condition stuff.
    Last edited by tremblingturtle; 08-29-2011 at 02:04 PM.
  6. Senior Member
    How much would it cost to get their's fixed? A new knob couldn't be that bad? I wouldn't try and use it without a knob though, I'd be so paranoid about running the wrong cycle and messing up my clothes!
  7. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    How much would it cost to get their's fixed? A new knob couldn't be that bad? I wouldn't try and use it without a knob though, I'd be so paranoid about running the wrong cycle and messing up my clothes!
    I don't know. I've used their washer before & the cycle knob missing has never ruined anything but I have never been able to start a load without the guy coming to help me or fix it.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  8. Moderator

I would look around and see if I could find anything better at a comparable price. Could you afford to buy their dryer and maybe buy a new washer? Home Depot usually does 0% financing around the holidays- maybe check out labor day sales before you make a decision to see if you could afford it?
  9. Senior Member
    I'd keep looking. On CL and in used appliance stores. We got a "reconditioned" washer and dryer for, I think, $250 from a used appliance store. It's in great condition.
  10. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

If you can afford it, buy a new one. Buying off craigslist I would be concerns there were problems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast