Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: making decorations

1. Senior Member

making decorations

Advertisements
    Hey ladies! Does anyone know of any good tutorials for making wreaths for fall/Christmas and any table top decorations?

I really want to decorate this year but I also really want to make them myself

Also anyone have any idea what I ckuld do to decorate a hallway? Its long but skinny and has a door for DD's room and the bathroom. Its just white right now but I want to finish painting it soon.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
  3. Senior Member
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't know of any tutorials, but you may be able to find some classes at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or Joann's. The bases that we've been to have also had classes at the Arts & Crafts center. Most of mine I've made through trial and error. I look at the wreaths at the craft stores to get ideas, buy supplies and just start putting stuff together. Main thing, buy the best glue gun you can afford. A good glue gun makes things move along quickly. And place things and move them around before you start glueing!

A simple table top one that I love is just a big glass jar or bowl filled with the cheap colored glass ornaments. I do that every year on my kitchen table. It makes it easy to move if the kids need it for homework or something. I put it on a pretty holiday placemat. Simple and pretty. For my dining table, I have a runner along the length and a set of those HUGE clear glass candle holders. I have deep red candles in them, then scatter small glass ornaments and pieces of pine around them on the runner.

For one hallway, I have a quilted wall hanging that my mom gave me years ago that is based on A Christmas Carol. I hang that on one side, and have various things that I replace other decor with thing's I've collected over the years, stuff I've found on clearance after the holidays and things the kids have made. If you don't have anything yet to hang, you can put pieces of cute holiday paper or scrapbooking paper inside a photo frame to change it up. Or use the wrapping paper and wrap the front of the frame to look like a gift. You can add ribbons and bows, and it looks like holiday gifts hanging from the walls!

After Christmas, I switch out the Christmas Carol throw with a snowman throw that I leave up for the winter. Anything on the walls that is Christmas-focused gets replaced with snowmen, which is how I decorate for winter. I had a friend that used a really cute Christmas shower curtain she found and put ribbon in the ring hooks to hang it in the hallway.

Let me know if I can help anymore. Seriously, I am one of those crazy people that totally redecorates my home for the holidays.

Do you have decor, or are you looking for some ideas on where to look for stuff?
  5. Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    I don't know of any tutorials, but you may be able to find some classes at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or Joann's. The bases that we've been to have also had classes at the Arts & Crafts center. Most of mine I've made through trial and error. I look at the wreaths at the craft stores to get ideas, buy supplies and just start putting stuff together. Main thing, buy the best glue gun you can afford. A good glue gun makes things move along quickly. And place things and move them around before you start glueing!

A simple table top one that I love is just a big glass jar or bowl filled with the cheap colored glass ornaments. I do that every year on my kitchen table. It makes it easy to move if the kids need it for homework or something. I put it on a pretty holiday placemat. Simple and pretty. For my dining table, I have a runner along the length and a set of those HUGE clear glass candle holders. I have deep red candles in them, then scatter small glass ornaments and pieces of pine around them on the runner.

For one hallway, I have a quilted wall hanging that my mom gave me years ago that is based on A Christmas Carol. I hang that on one side, and have various things that I replace other decor with thing's I've collected over the years, stuff I've found on clearance after the holidays and things the kids have made. If you don't have anything yet to hang, you can put pieces of cute holiday paper or scrapbooking paper inside a photo frame to change it up. Or use the wrapping paper and wrap the front of the frame to look like a gift. You can add ribbons and bows, and it looks like holiday gifts hanging from the walls!

After Christmas, I switch out the Christmas Carol throw with a snowman throw that I leave up for the winter. Anything on the walls that is Christmas-focused gets replaced with snowmen, which is how I decorate for winter. I had a friend that used a really cute Christmas shower curtain she found and put ribbon in the ring hooks to hang it in the hallway.

Let me know if I can help anymore. Seriously, I am one of those crazy people that totally redecorates my home for the holidays.

Do you have decor, or are you looking for some ideas on where to look for stuff?
    Great idea!! I have a beautiful wide clear vase that would work perfectly for this!!! Thank you sooo much for sharing!

You can decorate wreathes with ribbon and christmas ornaments with a hot glue gun, my aunt use to use cut up white trash bags and strung them around a hanger and added small ornaments for a wreath.
  6. Senior Member
    We have all 3 of the stores you mentioned and I look around there all the time. I think I like the stuff at hobby lobby more so than the other stores. Those are great ideas btw! I might take some pictures to show you what I'm working with. I have been working on establishing decor but really want to make it special for Dd's first Christmas at home. Plus we moved in over a year ago and I just want to make it feel more homey you know?

We started painting a year ago and then I found out I was pregnant so we had to stop. But we went with a dried grass color (sounds gross but its really pretty). We also have a fireplace with no mantel (we really want to figure out how to make a custom one at home but don't have major tools) just the tile for it is kind of awkward shaped.

I really like classic style and warm tones though. Our dining room is right off of the living room and is where we keep our tree since the fireplace takes up most of our living room. If you really want to help I would be more than willing to accept lol.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by corpsmanwife83 View Post
    We have all 3 of the stores you mentioned and I look around there all the time. I think I like the stuff at hobby lobby more so than the other stores. Those are great ideas btw! I might take some pictures to show you what I'm working with. I have been working on establishing decor but really want to make it special for Dd's first Christmas at home. Plus we moved in over a year ago and I just want to make it feel more homey you know?

We started painting a year ago and then I found out I was pregnant so we had to stop. But we went with a dried grass color (sounds gross but its really pretty). We also have a fireplace with no mantel (we really want to figure out how to make a custom one at home but don't have major tools) just the tile for it is kind of awkward shaped.

I really like classic style and warm tones though. Our dining room is right off of the living room and is where we keep our tree since the fireplace takes up most of our living room. If you really want to help I would be more than willing to accept lol.
    My style is more classic and warm tones as well. My main living areas are done in greens and browns. The dried grass color sounds neat -- is it yellowy green or more of a brown green? Do you know when you'll be able to finish painting. That is always the part I dislike the most, unfortunately it's the first step in getting started!

I think everyone here always gives great advice on decorating. Post some photos and I know I'd be glad to help!

Oh, and don't forget to check the Hobby Lobby website. This week's coupon is 40% off a regularly priced item!
  8. Senior Member
    I will definitely will check out the site. I'm hoping soon I'm just not sure how safe it is for DD. The only portion not painted is only above the sliding glass door to the balcony, behind the couch and the hallway. Its more of a brown/gray I would say. The tile on the fireplace is a cream/brown so it looked good together. All of our furniture is black (bookcase, picture frames, coffee table and end tables) and our couch is dark brown. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help in advance.

I found this online, but our paint color is the same as on the walls in this photo http://www.google.com/imgres?q=dried...w=1440&bih=668
    Last edited by corpsmanwife83; 09-01-2011 at 12:11 AM.