Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't know if this is the right place to post ....

1. Regular Member

Confused Don't know if this is the right place to post ....

Advertisements
    Hi sorry if this isnt the right place to post but I'm wondering what to do ... DH moved into our house in Germany on July 5th and I arrived on August 17th and we don't know any of our neighbors. So I was thinking maybe make some cookies or muffins and we could meet the close ones but he was thinking of having a BBQ with the close neighbors invited. He goes on rotations where he is on duty for several days or every other day so I would like to know my neighbors incase anything ever happened. Neither of us are very good with our German and I'm worried about the language barrier Any ideas or suggestions out there would be awesome, thanks
  2. Banned
    Banned
    a BBQ is always good!
  3. Missing my soldier.......
    Missing my soldier.......
    Blog Entries
    If you are making an effort maybe they will be willing to help you improve your German. Try learning how to say something like, I know very little German please help me? IDK but it's worth a try.
  4. Ambitiously Blonde
    Ambitiously Blonde
    I think the BBQ sounds great!
  5. Regular Member
    Haha yea, I can say do you speak english and thank you. Most of the time they know a little but when they say no I just have been smiling and pointing at what I want. DH was doing Rosetta stone and I got one of those DVD/book packs to help and you think you are doing great until you actually try to talk to them and everything goes out the window!
  6. Regular Member
    I'm starting to lean towards BBQ but at first all I thought was my DH was crazy but then I remembered my baking skills aren't that great and I can't knock on their door with bad muffins or cookies lol
  7. Nie
    What village are you in? I live outside of Velburg in housing, as for speaking with them, if you try German they are more likely to attempt to speak English with you. You gotta give a little to get a little
  8. Regular Member
    Haha I just responded to your other post. I've been trying , I'm sure just spending time here will help too. I just wonder if it is socially acceptable to knock on their door and invite them over ... DH husband told me that they are pretty private people.
  9. Senior Member
    In our intro class the lady teaching said that Germans tend to not go around knocking on people's doors to introduce themselves, but if you see someone outside you should introduce yourself.

A few things we did not know when we first got here:

- don't say "hallo" unless you know someone really well, always say Guten Tag, Guten Morgen, etc. Or you can shorten it and get rid of the "Guten" and just say "tag"

- You can say "Ish high-suh ....." (that is how you pronounce it, not how it's spelled) and that means, "My name is"

- I am by far not a German expert, but if I were trying to talk to someone all I would say would be "Tag! Ish High-suh Melissa, Mine Haus **point to my house** Sprechen zee english?" (all pronunciations not spelled correctly) Then at that point you have tried speaking German to them so you have a good first impression, they know who you are and why you are talking to them so they will be not super confused like "what is going on" if they don't speak any english

- and say "choose!" when you are leaving (again, just a pronunciation not spelled correctly)

My biggest advice is to get a German Phrase Book. They should have some at your BX or shopette. That thing has seriously saved us a lot.
  10. Today was a Fairytale
    Today was a Fairytale
    All the Germans I've met are seriously the nicest people ever!

When we went to Spain I learnt to say the basics but a lot of the time they'll know some English too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast