Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Do It Yourself

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Question Do It Yourself

Advertisements
    Has anyone ever installed wood floors themselves?
  2. Senior Member
    I helped a friend and her husband install laminate wood flooring. For that stuff, its practically "snap together" flooring. You still nail it down and cut to fit, but it was relatively easy, and looks awesome.
  3. Don't you know, don't you know that you're beautiful?
    Don't you know, don't you know that you're beautiful?
    Quote Originally Posted by meg_alane View Post
    I helped a friend and her husband install laminate wood flooring. For that stuff, its practically "snap together" flooring. You still nail it down and cut to fit, but it was relatively easy, and looks awesome.

My DB did one of these for his parents while he was home on Christmas leave. There was actually no nailing involved though. My parents themselves did the wood flooring in their house, but I was so little I don't remember all of it. Wish I could be of more help.
    blondiebabe is my twin! Distance Divas SailorsGoddess is my wifey!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My dad did it in my room and it was really easy. The boards just snap together.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by meg_alane View Post
    We already have engineered hardwood in a large portion of the first floor that is nailed down. I was thinking of adding it in the living room and dining room. I can find a lot of stuff on the internet about how easy it is to install the snap together laminate, but wasn't sure what I would be getting myself into with the nailing. Decisions, decisions...
  6. BeachGrl210
    BeachGrl210

I've done it before, but it was a pretty small room. It was a huge pain in the butt because we didn't invest in the right kind of saw. And we were working with an un-even floor, so I became really friendly with self-leveling concrete!

If you have an even floor, and the right tools, it's really not that bad. The leveling and cutting were the only bad parts for us!!!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachGrl210 View Post
    I've done it before, but it was a pretty small room. It was a huge pain in the butt because we didn't invest in the right kind of saw. And we were working with an un-even floor, so I became really friendly with self-leveling concrete!

If you have an even floor, and the right tools, it's really not that bad. The leveling and cutting were the only bad parts for us!!!
    Good to know! The sub floor is wood, level and in good condition. We just have the crappy 12 year old builder carpet in those rooms. And my husband has about every tool Craftsman makes, and if something was missing I know he would love if I bought something new for "him".
  8. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

Not yet but we plan putting wood floors in the kitchen when I get home from deployment. I'd love it if you could post about your experience after you accomplish it for any tips or heads up you may have.