Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine?

1. Senior Member

Help Sewing machine?

Advertisements
    I took two years of home ec, learned how to sew and all that jazz. Now three years later, I can't remember any of it. I need a refresher, and a sewing machine.

What is a decent sewing machine that isn't too expensive? I don't want to spend a lot of money if I end up not using it.

Also, are there like, learning DVD's or something?

I want to make some unpapertowels out of birds eye.
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

A lot of machines these days come with a dvd or CD rom on how to use them

You can get a decent inexpensive machine from walmart if it is just going to be for hobby not everyday use. look for a singer or brother. They are a good beginner machine

3. Senior Member
    sewing machines are like cars, they come in several makes and can do all sorts of stuff depending on what you want them to do, and the prices range so its hard to list one without knowing your needs or your wants from a sewing machine. i would start by finding a second hand machine from a thrift store, or a garage sale. something cheap that you can re-learn and experiment with your talents on without having to make a big investment.

there are tons of books on sewing, and youtube has several how-to videos for just about every project out there.
  4. Senior Member
    Sandy, I saw a singer for about 100 bucks at Joanns which is very reasonable to me. Honestly, I don't know what my needs are. I have no idea whatI'd use it for. I'd like to be able to add patches and stuff to hubby's uniform for him and also what prompted the search for a machine is that I'd like to make unpaper towels.
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Check the NEX for machines too... Our BX carries them periodically. It's nice not having to pay sales tax. I second the recommendation of Singer or Brother.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    Good luck, Abbs. I need to re-learn how to do it too...
  7. You are here.
    You are here.
    You could always look on Craigslist, your local sewing machine repair shop, some thrift stores and even pawn shops. I have seen in hampton roads, OKC and Omaha where people sell their Brothers sewing machines that they purchased wal mart for like forty to sixty bucks. I know AAFES had a craft one that they were selling for 30 bucks. I think zombie was looking at buying one.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    When I was sewing machine shopping I found out that Singer and Brother have their "standard" machines, that are sold at places like Wal-Mart and Target, and have "professional" machines that are sold at sewing retailers. My first machine was a Singer from Target, and it was terrible. I couldn't even use it because it would get these rats nests in the thread underneath the fabric every. single. time. I tried to sew. I even took it to a sewing shop to take classes and they couldn't figure out the tensions on it or why it was doing that. So I upgraded to a Janome over a year ago and I love it. It was about 6 times more expensive than the Singer, but it actually works. I would recommend getting a second hand "professional" machine before I'd waste money on one of the cheap discount store machines. Craigslist would be a great place to look or ask sewing stores in the area also.
  9. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I love my Singer! Those and brothers are the best IMO and easy to use.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I don't sew a lot but I picked up like an $80 Singer at Target when I was pregnant b/c I wanted to sew a few things for Riley.

I didn't/don't have any problems with it!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast