Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reuse ideas??

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Reuse ideas??

Advertisements
    So, we are far from being a waste-free household. However, with the rising cost of trash bags (and everything else) I've decided to recycle and reuse more. I got recycling down, but reusing seems to be more fun and crafty challenge.
    For example, I save glass jars and use them to store things like rubber bands, pens, paper clips, and hair ties.

What are some items you reuse and what do you reuse them for?
    Any cool frugal decorating ideas?

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  2. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

It's not really "re-using" but it's a cost cutter for sure. I make my own baby wipes. It's super inexpensive they last longer and are made from whatever shampoo you use on your baby so they can be all natural too. No chemicals or dyes to worry about.

I also re-use baby food jars in the garage. They are great for storing nails and stuff and if you screw the tops to a board or shelf then it's super easy to store them. Just unscrew to get what you need and rescrew for storage.

I give my one side used paper to my siblings for art projects or I use it for note paper or lists that way I am using as much of it as possible.

My brothers and sisters decorate the left over cardboard tubes from paper towel rolls and make sand sticks, or bead sticks, or telescopes

Paper shreddings & grass clippings are great for placing around rose bushes in the winter to keep them alive my mom just taught me that one.

those are all the ideas I have atm. If I think of others I'll let you know
  3. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I buy bulk spices and reuse the spice jars. I save glass jars and try and re-purpose them for bulk food storage. You can only reuse so much (you only need so many hair-clip holders and pen tins) so I try and reduce the number of things I bring in once I'm done re-purposing.
  4. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Also, if I started composting or raising earth worms I could cut my garbage in half. So much of it is food scrapings.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by oohrah_baby View Post
    Also, if I started composting or raising earth worms I could cut my garbage in half. So much of it is food scrapings.
    We live in an apartment in a non-rural area so composting doesn't help me . If I had a house I'd be all over that!

6. Senior Member
    I reuse plastic food containers (like butter tubs for example) and use them for leftovers. I send them in DH's lunches so he doesn't lose my good food storage dishes. It's not too creative, but that's really all I've got.
  7. verabot89
    verabot89
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybun View Post
    We live in an apartment in a non-rural area so composting doesn't help me . If I had a house I'd be all over that!
    no! you can still compost!

Here in Austin they are having a huge movement to urban agriculture, and urban composting. It's totally doable. If your city picks up yard waste, or you have a place to drop it off (neighbor, or something) it's definitely possible! Here's an article about it, and a link to what austin does.

Urban Composting - It CAN be done! | Wise Bread
    Green Bucket Composting - Home
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

8. Senior Member
    When sponges get mildewey I put them in the dishwasher and they come out brand spanking new. We haven't had to buy sponges in forever because of it.
  9. verabot89
    verabot89
    Some others just to reduce waste that I can think of are:

Water filter versus bottled water

Making your own sauces versus buying jarred sauce. That actually applies to everything... buy food with very limited packaging and cook it, instead of buying prepared meals, or packaged foods.

I saw at a craft fair, people making clocks and coasters out of old CDs! Super cool

Cut your utensils and # plates/bowls/cups in half, so when you wash dishes you're less likely to use excess water, or if you use the dishwasher it takes longer to fill up, so you can run it less. This only works if you don't have a large household tho. Works for me, cause I live alone but with a big family you'd run out dishes too quick

Buy things in bulk, so you bring home less packaging.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveOwls View Post
    When sponges get mildewey I put them in the dishwasher and they come out brand spanking new. We haven't had to buy sponges in forever because of it.
    That is awesome. Smelly sponges are a HUGE pet peve for me, because then I can't get the smell out of my hands. It has gotten to the point where I bark at anyone who doesn't wring out the sponge after every use to prevent it! You might have just saved the whole household from my wrath...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast