Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing furniture in S. Korea?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Purchasing furniture in S. Korea?

Advertisements
    I was just wondering if anyone had experience purchasing basically a household of furniture while stationed at Osan? We are moving there in a few months and most of the stuff we have thats being shipped over there is not what we really want in our home haha. Its mostly hand me downs and we'd like to finally make our home our own. Mainly we need bedroom dressers, dining room table, and living room furniture. My DH seems to think he can find a delivery service or something like it to get us furniture but I am not so sure. Thank in advance and any advice is welcome!
  2. AMD
    The BX in Osan has some pretty nice stuff, and they deliver. There are also delivery services out the butt. We just have to ask our realtor for recommendations. There is also a ton of furniture on the economy, but everything I've seen so far has been pretty uncomfortable and expensive.

Also, you'll find most apartments come furnished. I can't speak for the Air Force, but the Army has a furniture lending program; I would assume the Air Force has one too.

Oh and before I forget. There are Yongsan, Humphreys, and Osan Flea Market Pages on Facebook. I highly recommend you join them. Every now and then, an amazing piece of furniture pops up on there. A friend got a really nice, platform Ikea bed with built in nightstands for $50

We are hesitant to buy our "forever" furniture here (and did not ship any of our nice stuff over), because we've heard too many horror stories regarding large and nice furniture items getting broken in HHG shipments

Hope this helps!
  3. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Like AMD said, your best choice would be the BX. There are some furniture store outside the gate but they are all asian style looking, they look nice but not my style, they're a little pricey too. Are you coming command sponsored or not? If you'll be NCS, you can rent an apartment with furniture already. They also sell furniture at the malls but very expensive and I don't know how you can tell them to deliver it to your house if you don't speak Korean. Sometimes, they got some good deals at the thrift shop too lol.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    DH speaks fluent Korean and I'll be there command sponsored. I've been told the BX there has a very limited choice on things and can get really expensive. We don't mind the asian style but we really don't want to be paying a ton for something (as AMD said) that will probably end up destroyed at some point unless we are lucky.
  5. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Asian style is fine but Korean furniture . . . is different. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of it. However, dressers are not common unless you like plastic drawers with cutesy cartoon characters on them and sofas have very low backs.

If you are looking for supplemental pieces, i.e., step-chest, and things that are made of wood (solid wood!), you will find some great stuff. But for what Americans consider "normal" furniture, you may not find much.
  6. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    As far as your husband speaking fluent Korean, I see he is fresh out of the language institute. Learning the language for use in your job and being fluent for practical purposes can be two different things. My husband has been a Korean linguist for around 25 years; trust me, I know!! LOL!
  7. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Wow, you guys are lucky you have someone who understand Korean language. Anyways, sorry I meant more "Korean" style furniture. I'm not into them but they're nice, not sure about the quality though. I wish they have Ikea here, thats the style that I prefer as well as prices.

If you'll only be here for 2 years(aren't you?), maybe you can just bring your furniture, if they don't survive the moving then get reimbursed and get new ones. I personally think that the BX is expensive and your dh is right, they don't have much selection to choose from.

Songtan Sally is right about the off base furniture. They are different like for example the bed, the mattress is soooooooooo hard. But I think they like it that way because they also sell those marble looking bed with no mattress and they are heated and very expensive!
  8. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    As far as your husband speaking fluent Korean, I see he is fresh out of the language institute. Learning the language for use in your job and being fluent for practical purposes can be two different things. My husband has been a Korean linguist for around 25 years; trust me, I know!! LOL!
    Just curious, how long has your dh been here in Korea? As a Korean linguist, are there other bases he can go to besides Korea? linguists in general seem interesting =)
  9. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Husband has been here on and off since 1990. We love it here and are working to make Korea our home for many years to come.
  10. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Here's a link to gmarket, to get an idea of available furniture in Korea: Gmarket - Buy and Sell Apparel, Cosmetics, Jewelry, Electronics & more at low price
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast