Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: A couple of questions?

1. Each day passes is one more day to forever ;)
    Each day passes is one more day to forever ;)

A couple of questions?

Advertisements
    Okay...so after talking to DB last night, I realized I have picked up some bad habits from my Mom that is affecting me badly. Namely, I am a brand snob which is costing me to much money so I want to break this habit.

So here are my questions:

1. I have very very sensitive skin! I have found I can use tide but not arm and hammer or gain. Do you know of any brands that are cheaper but similar to Tide?

2. What other ways have you guys learned to break the name brand habit if you had one?

3. What are some ways you eat super healthy on the cheap? Healthy foods seem to cost an arm and a leg and junk food is cheap but I am sick of always feeling icky. I want to feel healthy and like my body is doing more with what I am putting in it kwim?
  2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    As far as the laundry detergent goes I'd just look for coupons for the brand you can use, I don't know that I would skimp there because breaking out is not ok!

The rest of the name brand stuff, i'd just say try out the off brand products and see what you like. There are some things I'll only buy name brands of but a lot of stuff I use off brand and it's exactly the same. It's all a matter of trying the other stuff and seeing how it goes.

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldiersdear View Post
    Okay...so after talking to DB last night, I realized I have picked up some bad habits from my Mom that is affecting me badly. Namely, I am a brand snob which is costing me to much money so I want to break this habit.

So here are my questions:

1. I have very very sensitive skin! I have found I can use tide but not arm and hammer or gain. Do you know of any brands that are cheaper but similar to Tide?

2. What other ways have you guys learned to break the name brand habit if you had one?

3. What are some ways you eat super healthy on the cheap? Healthy foods seem to cost an arm and a leg and junk food is cheap but I am sick of always feeling icky. I want to feel healthy and like my body is doing more with what I am putting in it kwim?
    1. We used to use Purex back in the states (i think it's supposed to be all natural or something). Most stores also have their brand name detergent comparable to Tide.

2. I've just bought off name stuff and have realized it works the same as the name brand stuff. I used to use all name brand stuff and when I moved in with DH he's all like "Why would you buy that body wash, it's the exact same as this, this is 2x as big and half price!"

3. Giant bags of frozen veggies, buy fruits that don't go bad really fast (like apples/bananas), they even have those microwavable bags of veggies now (for easiness). Really the key I have found is if I buy some sort of fruit I tend to eat a lot more of it if I pre-wash/trim everything when I buy it so I can just open the fridge and eat it.
  4. Senior Member
    ya
    I have REALLY sensitive skin also and DH bought Purex (not knowing I only use Tide)...I absolutely LOVE it (it smells so nice and I haven't found any problems with my skin). I'm a brand snob too (welcome! haha) I know you can't get to the Commissary (you're not married right?), but the Commissary is actually A LOT cheaper than even WalMart (I'm a Tarjay person :tehe ) But, buying off-brand is just something you need to do and find what you like. example: I used to buy Banana Boat SPF 50 for Babies....Target's Babies SPF50 is the exact same and works better imo. Also, you can google "free printable coupons" and get a TON of coupons for products you use (but know that you can't use them in the Commissary/you have to ask if they accept coupons)

Siggy by AshMark's
    Mr. & Mrs. since August 20, 2010 He's home! Finally Together
  5. verabot89
    verabot89
    For laundry detergent I use All (the free and clear one!!) I have super sensitive skin, and this works great for me. It says its recommended by dermatologists

Don'y buy pre-packaged foods. Pretty much anything that comes prepared, or in boxed packaging, or in plastic, in convenient "new fangled" packaging is going to cost more. Even precut veggies.

I just buy uncooked, unfrozen meat, and raw, uncut veggies. Then some pasta, jarred sauce that I make a little bit better.

If a recipe calls for it, I'll buy some extra ingredients. I spend about 40 a week and eat a lot.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

6. Senior Member
    I use Purex. I have really sensitive skin too. Gain makes me break out in hives. But Purex is great and I've been using it for years. AND they have these sheets that are just the greatest thing ever: Purex® Complete 3-in-1 Laundry. I get a box for about $4-$5 (always use a coupon!) and they last me for about 2 months. The fragrance is great, I never have any skin problems and it eliminates the use of dryer sheets.

I was a brand snob, until I started doing my own shopping. But let me tell you from experience: the cheap spaghetti tastes as good as Barilla. Same goes for chicken stock, canned veggies, everything else.

Pretty much the only "brands" I buy are my toiletries, my cat's food & litter, cereal, Simply brand juice, Nutella and salad dressing.

When trying to save money, coupons are your friend! Especially at Target or the commisary. Target will accept their store coupon along with a manufacturers coupons. This really adds up on my toiletries and cereal. I got Nivea lotion for $1.00 the other day, Dove deodorant for DH for $1.50 and some other stuff we need.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    No Advice as I don't have sensitive skin and have the same food issue you are having. But wanted to comment and say I admire you for seeking help. That's the first step to becoming a better person with a more positive lifestyle.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Because of my sensitive skin certain things I'm just willing to pay more for

Laundry soap I use either All Free and Clear or Method.

Body soap I use baby soap Which actually does a good job, and even generic brands are cheap. They don't all smell like "baby" either. There's shea and cocoa butter that smells really good.

As for the food, use coupons. Price shop some, buy in bulk when you can.