Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: OPSEC & PERSEC: Pre-Deployment

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Exclamation OPSEC & PERSEC: Pre-Deployment

Advertisements
    OPSEC is the first and most important thing that you need to know about deployments. Breaking OPSEC will NOT be tolerated on MSOS. Below are a few key things that are not allowed, they are the most common things that we have people post. There is also a link attached below that will take you to an article that I strongly suggest you read that will further explain OPSEC as well as cover more on PERSEC.

These apply to not only the deployment as a whole, but any R&R, emergency leave, and so on. This also applies not just to the main boreds, but also PM's, blogs, and pretty much anywhere else on the internet, this is not an MSOS specific "rule".

• Do not post the exact day that your SO is leaving.
    • Do not post the exact day that your SO is coming home.
    • The smallest time frame that you can say is the name of the month. That means no commenting on whether its the beginning, middle, or end. Even saying "a few weeks" will be edited.
    • Do not post the exact camp or city that your SO is deployed to. You can say the country (example: Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan) and thats it, thats as specific as you can get.
    • Do not post the days and/or time frames that your SO is going out on a mission or any upcoming communication black outs that you know of.

OPSEC & PERSEC...MUST READ!!!

This list will be updated and edited as it needs to. To be honest though if the staff ends up having to add more to the list, thats NOT going to be a good thing. You all need to keep each other in check and make sure that your fellow members are not posting violations and putting their SO's lives at risk.

If you have any questions feel free to contact myself or another staff member at any time, or ask your question in this thread and someone will respond. There are no stupid questions when it comes to OPSEC. I would rather people ask and me have to repeat myself a million times then having anyone post a violation.

If you see a OPSEC violation there is a small white triangle on the left hand side of the post with a red ! in it. Click that icon and report the post, the staff will handle it immediately.
    Last edited by His*PITA*; 07-17-2010 at 12:44 AM.
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Another spambot bites the dust at the hands of the almighty mod squad!
  3. Moderator
  4. Army girl friend in training :D
    Army girl friend in training :D
    im sorry im new what does OPSEC mean?!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Experienced individuals, help please

DBs BN's facebook just posted a XXX day window for arrival XXX days ago. Yesterday they rectified it, pushing it up.

DB hooked me up with his buddy's wife, who is active and in the know with the FRG. Today she messaged me asking me when I'm flying in (She is kind enough to offer to pick me up and let me hang out with her)

I had planned to book last minute but she says we wont hear anything until a few hours before their flight and that I should book for the night before the earliest date they will come in.

My concern is that its already been pushed back and I'm worried that after I book, everything will change and I'll miss DB.

Insight?
    Last edited by His*PITA*; 01-03-2011 at 02:17 AM. Reason: OPSEC
  6. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    Can you purchase flight insurance where they'll allow you to change your flight?

So far this deployment, my husband's company's dates have stayed pretty true to the window we received, however I can't speak for the other companies within his unit.

If I were in your position, I'd set my flight for the night before his earliest expected arrival date and then purchase insurance so I can change the flight if needed.
  7. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynee88 View Post
    Can you purchase flight insurance where they'll allow you to change your flight?

So far this deployment, my husband's company's dates have stayed pretty true to the window we received, however I can't speak for the other companies within his unit.

If I were in your position, I'd set my flight for the night before his earliest expected arrival date and then purchase insurance so I can change the flight if needed.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Our home comings have always changed up till the very day they were supposed to be home. We start out as getting a block of a few days and it changes weekly and then daily and then even down to the hours they come home. Your SO should be getting a general idea that will match up to some degree with the FRG. My DH always hints at me or uses a certain day that we know the number of and then has me add and subtract from it to help me figure it out It's always hard when flying in but if possible I would get there as early as you can if you are able to stay even if it could be a few days. Flight availability and weather can have a lot to do with the change. Good luck!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thanks girls. After hours on hold/being transfered/talking on the phone with Continental they let me know that because I was using miles, rather than paying, I could change up to the last minute with only a 75 dollar fee, so I went ahead and booked for the day before the earliest day the FRG has pegged them to come for. I would have come earlier but I'll already be missing over a week of school as slated.

Thanks!