Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I'm Coupon Stupid...

1. Senior Member

I'm Coupon Stupid...

Advertisements
    Ok so who wants to teach me how to use coupons?? I'm still learning the part about getting them out of the paper, cutting them, and sorting them.

Once I get past that phase, then what?!!?
    I'm tired of reading all the blogs where people save TONS of money and we're still spending WAY too much for just the hubby and I for what we eat.

Side note: Is there any kind of coupon swapping on this board? I have millions of coupons I'll never use for things like tomatoes and beans and other crap that I'm allergic too...
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SrahsCat View Post
    Ok so who wants to teach me how to use coupons?? I'm still learning the part about getting them out of the paper, cutting them, and sorting them.

Once I get past that phase, then what?!!?
    I'm tired of reading all the blogs where people save TONS of money and we're still spending WAY too much for just the hubby and I for what we eat.

Side note: Is there any kind of coupon swapping on this board? I have millions of coupons I'll never use for things like tomatoes and beans and other crap that I'm allergic too...
    Get some sort of coupon holder/file. You can find them in the grocery store, usually hanging from the racks. Ideally it will already be separated into sections like: Dairy, Meat, Cereal, Frozen Foods, Canned Goods, household, personal, etc.

Clip the coupons for things that you eat or that you want to try. Go through your cabinets/fridge/freezer and make a shopping list, marking coupon items with a C.

Some things require you to buy other items (like, buy 2 liters of soda and get a bag of chips free). Annotate that on your list.

When you check out, give your coupons to the cashier. At the commissary, I put the 'free' items at the end of my order because the cashier has to check the receipt for the price so they know how much to take off.
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Get some sort of coupon holder/file. You can find them in the grocery store, usually hanging from the racks. Ideally it will already be separated into sections like: Dairy, Meat, Cereal, Frozen Foods, Canned Goods, household, personal, etc.

Clip the coupons for things that you eat or that you want to try. Go through your cabinets/fridge/freezer and make a shopping list, marking coupon items with a C.

Some things require you to buy other items (like, buy 2 liters of soda and get a bag of chips free). Annotate that on your list.

When you check out, give your coupons to the cashier. At the commissary, I put the 'free' items at the end of my order because the cashier has to check the receipt for the price so they know how much to take off.
    what she said.
    I bought this 3 dollar plastic container at wal-mart (in the office supply area that is for index cards) and some plastic dividers that are for a Rolodex but fit in the container ( i just flipped them over and labeled them how I use coupons)

I often put the coupons from my list in an envelope so I don't have to dig for them at the store, but i also take my box incase I come across something that is a good deal that I have a coupon for.

The best way to save a fair amount of money is to also scour the flyers so you can find out what is on sale and if you have a coupon for it so you can get it at a lower price.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    I got a plastic small binder as well and divided it as I wanted. Food (frozen & others) Toiletries, cleaners, medicines, store coupons, etc... You could go more in detail if you want to.
    The best thing to do to maximize your savings is watch sales and match your sale needs with coupons you have.
    I do The grocery game, they put everything on the list for you matched with the coupons you need. I could send you some info about it if you are interested. There are other places where you can get all the information and make the list your self.

I think the most important to save is not to buy something just because you have a coupon.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
    I got a plastic small binder as well and divided it as I wanted. Food (frozen & others) Toiletries, cleaners, medicines, store coupons, etc... You could go more in detail if you want to.
    The best thing to do to maximize your savings is watch sales and match your sale needs with coupons you have.
    I do The grocery game, they put everything on the list for you matched with the coupons you need. I could send you some info about it if you are interested. There are other places where you can get all the information and make the list your self.

I think the most important to save is not to buy something just because you have a coupon.
    I would love more info!! I have a hard time with the "dont buy something just because you have a coupon for it" - because I see people get all t his free stuff and then im like ok but we don't eat ANY of that... so it doesnt help me! lol and we only get the sunday paper, so I don't know where to get flyers for sales at... see told ya i was coupon stupid!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Don't buy anything you don't want. If you can't store it, it's going to be wasted.

If you have a deep freezer, that changes things.....
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Don't buy anything you don't want. If you can't store it, it's going to be wasted.

If you have a deep freezer, that changes things.....
    Yup we bought a stand up freezer for the garage! Got it off craigslist for $20 and the guy delivered it! Works PERFECT!!