Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large families - keeping the house clean

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Large families - keeping the house clean

Advertisements
    I keep my house realtively clean, now. But I feel as if I'm spending 1/2 of my day constantly sweeping, vacuuming, doing laundry and so on.

Are there any tips or tricks to share for all around cleaning and so forth without being drowned by the dustbunnies? I've yet to manage to pull it off without feeling completely swamped in the process.

I need Rosie.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, I feel like I'm about to lose my mind lately with the CONSTANT cleaning... it's like I am never actually finished with it. As soon as I am caught up on laundry, the living room is an absolute disaster, then as soon as I get that picked up, dishes need to be done, then when I'm done with dishes I come back and find the living room a mess again, pick that up then the kids have torn up their rooms, then I have to sweep, then vacuum, then sweep, then mop, then.... it just never stops. I guess the constant cleaning just comes with the territory of having so many people in one house, especially when most of them are kids!
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Before I found MSOS, I had myself on a cleaning schedule... Let's just say that's shot to hell now.

If you guys find the secret to keeping a house clean with many munchkins, pass it on...
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, I said screw it. I pick up when the kids are at school and then do the vacuuming at night when they are getting ready for bed. I refuse to spend the majority of my day cleaning the house when I turn around 2 seconds later and it's trashed.
  5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

I just can't stand it - I don't know what drives me nuts, more - the cleaning or the mess being there!

I think my house was designed to just LOOK messy. Like - the caulk is old so it's just discolored and I always think it looks moldy...so i need to scrape it and replace it. The paint's faded and so on, so forth.
    So I think it just messes with my head
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    Honestly, I said screw it. I pick up when the kids are at school and then do the vacuuming at night when they are getting ready for bed. I refuse to spend the majority of my day cleaning the house when I turn around 2 seconds later and it's trashed.
    Yep, pretty much.

Oh, and I give the dustbunnies names. Shiiiit, they're cheaper to feed and clothe than my kids......
  7. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    OP - how old are your kids? I grew up in a big family and we all had mega chores to help my mom. It worked too, the house was pretty much always clean, well, not spotless clean, but presentable clean.

It also set a great foundation for me, I HATE having a dirty house.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  8. Senior Member
    Oh I totally know what you mean. We are a family of 6 so I always feel like my house is a mess. I always feel like as I clean everybody is lined up behind me to purposley mess it all up again. Now that my kids are older though they all have chores to do everynight. They alternate with those every week that way no 1 child is always doin the same thing. It has helped out a little bit. If I could just get them to do their own laundry now we would be set lol.
  9. Senior Member
    I wish I had a way . But with there being 5 people here (plus 2 dogs and a cat) I feel like I never have everything "clean". BUT If I dont clean at least a bit every day it gets overwhelming and I dont know where to start.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    Honestly, I feel like I'm about to lose my mind lately with the CONSTANT cleaning... it's like I am never actually finished with it. As soon as I am caught up on laundry, the living room is an absolute disaster, then as soon as I get that picked up, dishes need to be done, then when I'm done with dishes I come back and find the living room a mess again, pick that up then the kids have torn up their rooms, then I have to sweep, then vacuum, then sweep, then mop, then.... it just never stops. I guess the constant cleaning just comes with the territory of having so many people in one house, especially when most of them are kids!
    Thats pretty much how I feel and we're not even a large family. Only 4 of us. Of course SOS does eat up a lot of my cleaning time Lol
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast