Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any packrats gone organized?

1. Photographer in Southern CA
    Photographer in Southern CA
    Blog Entries

Any packrats gone organized?

Advertisements
    I have tried but I need help. Every day I want so bad to just DUMP all the shit in my house into the garbage but I just can't bring myself to do it. I can't organize because I am just overwhelmed and have too much crap.

So has anyone gone from packrat to organized?

I want a clean and orderly home but its just so hard when everything doesn't have a place.

Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Senior Member
    I know how you feel! When overwhelmed, tackle one closet or even one drawer at a time. Eventually you will get to everything without feeling like you've thrown your life history away.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I did, kinda.
    Last move, I just said, give it all away.
    I got rid of just about everything. Except books.
    It helped.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Little bits at a time have worked for me.
    And bottom line... throwing things out really is the best thing. I FORCE myself to throw things away that I know I don't need, have not seen in forever, and useless

I really need to tackle our garage. I go out there and cringe but can't get myself to do it. Getting started is the hardest part
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Once a year I go through all my crap and get rid of everything I haven't seen in a long time... if I'm not using it... obviously I don't need it.

now to get my grandma to learn that....
  6. Banned
    Banned
    yes!!! I was a total hoard!!

I went to that to almst completely organised!

to keep from getting completey over whelmed- start with only one room- your bedroom-

why because this is actually the one room that should be your sactuary- the one room that when you walk in you become at ease.

and never store any thing under your bed- I know I know I know!! but if you believe in karma and fung sui- you will know it is bad mojo to store stuff under the bed or have your bed on the floor!
  7. Photographer in Southern CA
    Photographer in Southern CA
    Blog Entries

my room is the messiest in the house, no one can see it.

but we don't put anything under the bed, there is more then enough room on the open floor.
  8. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    its really hard, but can be done. the main thing is to stop and think. Do I use this? Will I use this and when was the last time I used it.
    Best thing is to have someone who is not a hoarder to help you. They can help you see the light in your despair of purging.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

9. Senior Member
    I have been slowly but surely going through things, and spaces. I've been working on it for about a month, and gotten 4 rooms completely done, and just have 2 more rooms, and a couple of closets to finish. The people at Goodwill have started to recognize my car....LOL.
  10. Senior Member
    Oy. A few years ago I moved out my apartment, sold my car, quit my job, and put EVERYTHING I owned into storage. It stayed there pretty much until this last month when hubby and I trecked down to AZ with a HUGE moving truck and loaded all of my storage unit up (a 10x10 unit FULL, my bedroom at my parents house and a pretty much half full 10x20 unit we got for wedding gifts and his stuff, and all my stuff that was in my parents' garage) and brought it here to our first house.

My amazing and wonderful husband has slowly but surely gone through EVERY box and sorted things. He is going through them again and re-sorting and moving all the papers to one place, the music to another, the teaching stuff to another etc. On top of that he had his stuff in storage and that stuff was just dropped off by the military as well. We went through and got EVERY piece of clothing in ANY box and stuck it in our "dining room" (no dining room table yet) and I have been doing about 10 loads a day for the last month trying to wash it all. The worst part? I have clothes from like 5th grade and even some before that. NOTHING fits but my summer clothes from this past year.

I'm a huge packrat and I proudly get it from my father. :-D We are slowly but surely getting organized but its taking forever and I'm super overwhelmed. I just take it one day at a time and try to have fun with the things I find and then I try to detach and figure out a way to get them to someone who could use them more.

I totally hate thinking about how much money I spent storing all this crap though! Our goal is to get everything into a room so that when we PCS again here soon, we never have to sort like we have had to this time.... It will all just magically go to the new house in the new rooms!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast