Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me figure out how to decorate my walls!

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Please help me figure out how to decorate my walls!

Advertisements
    Can anyone help me out - I need picture-hanging tips, hints and suggestions
    This is so frustrating!

So we're in year 2 of remodeling the house. Well I'm tired of having all of my framed pictures sitting in stacks - and over the last 2 months I've tried to hang them up in a variety of ways but I've hated every attempt I've made. My picture arrangements are too junky, all the pictures are crooked or they're all just in the wrong spots.

I use to work in a frame shop - and I can do any DIY project I need to - but decoration is NOT something I'm good at.

Right now the variety of sizes and woods - we have everything from basic posters of animals to family portraists. 5x7, 8x10, 12x16 - and a few that are probably bigger than that (poster size) and unframed children's art.
    I don't have money, now, to buy more frames for the kid's art so I'd, also, like suggestions to how I can hang those without them getting ruined.

*edit - I'm taking some pics of my livingroom to post with this*
  2. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Ok - pictures of my livingroom - and I'm fine with rearranging furniture, too ... right now it's just junky because I just don't know where to put anything.

I have a few pictures up but not many, as you can tell. I have about 40 pictures that I'd like to hang but I think 1/2 of that - or even less than that - can actually go up in a reasonable fashion and then I'll just closet teh rest.

This stuff, here, is my jewelry stuff - and I'm thinking of moving all of this into the laundryroom and setting up shop, there.
  3. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
  4. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Sometimes it's nice to spray all of the frames one uniform color, helps to unify the pictures, despite having different subjects.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Good idea.
    Do you think I should consider grouping them according to subject? Or no?
  6. Senior Member
    I think It looks better if you do all subject matters together. And I agree if you are to paint all the frames the same color it would look great. See if there would be a way you could do something like this

That way even if you have pictures of all different subjects It would not be all sporadic on the wall but put together. Ive done this of the same subject put in different sized frames and it looked awesome. Good Luck!
  7. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Hey, thanks, that would be cool

I'm dividing them out, now, according to subject matter and if I want them up at all, etc - and I'll play around with laying them on the floor in "hung order" to see if I can do something similar to that idea.
  8. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

Also if you really want to highlight the pics you'll need to declutter so the eye is drawn only to the pic. I've just seen all those shows where they declutter and the room looks amazing afterwards.
  9. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Yeah - I know - unfortunately I'm stuck with all this furniture. There's no place else to put it and over the last few years I've gotten rid of quite a few pieces.

Tomorrow I'll move all of my jewelry stuff out of there - that makes up the most of the mess - and then rearrange things a bit more.
  10. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

for kids art work, hanga piece of string from wall to wall and use clothes pins to hang the art work.

I agree with frames all being one color though. I would go for black (always classic) or silver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast