Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on washing your car at home.

1. Senior Member

Help Advice on washing your car at home.

Advertisements
    I wasn't sure where else this should go.

I have always taken my car to a carwash to, well, wash it. I wasn't ever totally satisfied with the result, but didn't have the resources to wash it myself. Now I do. I bought several car washing things last night: tire shine, wheel cleaner, interior cleaner, scotch gard, window cleaner (interior and exterior since I have tinted windows), bug/tar removal treatment, and the actual car wash detergent itself (that has wax incorporated). I bought two microfiber sponges, a big one and a medium one. I bought a pack of microfiber towels for drying it. I also bought a window squeegee (sp?), a brake dust brush, and a detail brush.

I think I went overboard and am having a bit of buyer's remorse. I just want to do it right and thoroughly, but not excessively. Any guidance? Anything I should return/don't need? Anything missing???
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    what exactly do you want to know? I mean when I wash my car I just... wash it .
    I get it wet, I get it soapy, I wash it off. I usually do the inside first. I shop vac, and then do my leather. I do the wheels real quick and then windex on the windows.

I have no idea what a break duster is.
    One sponge is probably enough if you are just doing it alone.
    Tire cleaner should make your wheels shine. So There really is no need for both.
    I also have never used bug, tar removal. Bugs and such just always come off when I wash like normal. Maybe a little elbow greece but thats it.

Good Luck
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    yikes! I just use one of those big car sponges, the car washing soap mixed in a bucket of water...

I spray the car down, then lather it, then dry it with one of those rags that doesn't scratch.
    ★RagaBabe Cloth Diapers Grand Opening www.ragababe.com
  4. Senior Member
    im really picky about my car.. but my husband does car shows so we kinda go over board with the detail stuff too.. be careful with the tire shine if you have rims cause the tire sine made my husbands not paint but the clear coat come off of his rims so we got to get the powder coated again i think that is what it is called. but we use pretty much everything you had bought and our cars look great. i dont use microfiber on my car i use this cool little towel thingy that sucks up the water off the car and gives it anice dry look love it. if you need any more advice im sure i can get for ya..

dont use a sponge cause it will scratch your car.. i have a microfiber mit that i use very very soft and Meguiars car wash stuff is fantastic stuff expensive but great
  5. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    DH actually wrote this

Ok, here's the deal... If you actually use all that stuff it will take you a complete day if not more. I used to be a professional detailer, so here we go..

All I use is simple green for the interior, motor, rims and bugs. You have to be really careful though because it will take the color out of anything you put/leave it on. If you use it on your rims, engine or pait(bugs) make sure you wet the area first and and keep it wet. DO NOT LET IT DRY ON ANYTHING! When you do your wheel, also spay the tire use a hard bristle brush to scrub the tire. So one wheel at a time and if you do your engine make sure you rinse anywhere that it could be on ie... the paint or rubber hoses. I know it sounds scary; but believe me it works. And it isn't as scary as it sounds.

All I have to wash my truck is a wash mitt, car soap, bucket, tire shine, rags(interior) and window cleaner. As for drying the car get a shammy(the absorber is the name of it) always keep it moist and rinse it out while you use it. Trust me it makes no sense to get something wet to dry something off but it works!

Now the interior... Get warm water and the ol simple green, a tooth brush and fingernail brush and a rag. I put a little simple green in the water, just a little! take you brush and scrub your interior. You will use the water with the simple green. Then take the the toothbrush and get in all the creases. Now ideally you could vacuum out all the creases but you can get away with wiping it clean. If your interior is already clean which if you went to car washes its not, because they put the shiny crap on your interior. That stuff is horrible for your vinyl. So scrub all that off, wipe clean then it will always be clean. do small sections at a time and change your water periodically. I sit in one seat at a time and do that complete area then change my water and move on. My truck is 4 years old and the interior looks brand new still and the previous owner put all that shiny stuff on the interior. When you scrub that off and wipe it clean, you wont believe how dirty it was even though it looked clean.

Now back to the exterior.. make sure you wax it periodically, when the water doesn't bead up you need to wax it. I do mine once a month. When you are washing your car do it either in the shade or do sections at a time and rinse clean every time. When you wax, stay away from any trim and the creases that way you don't have the wax build up in them. Do the windows last.

Any other questions please ask! Hope I helped some!

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

the wax in the wash is ok, but if you want to *really* wax your car, you need to get separate wax. my advice is, meguiar's brand is the best (for everything car care) & for drying, get an absorber, or absorber type drying cloth. they soak up water even when wet.
  7. Senior Member
    I was beginning to feel stupid for asking, but I just had a feeling there was more involved than I thought. I definitely appreciate the responses! That one chemical sounds like something that I will use when I get the hang of multi-tasking that at the same time.
  8. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    It's a 'green' product, it's non toxic and biodegradable! I think it's that strong because it's concentrated.

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbaby View Post
    I wasn't sure where else this should go.

I have always taken my car to a carwash to, well, wash it. I wasn't ever totally satisfied with the result, but didn't have the resources to wash it myself. Now I do. I bought several car washing things last night: tire shine, wheel cleaner, interior cleaner, scotch gard, window cleaner (interior and exterior since I have tinted windows), bug/tar removal treatment, and the actual car wash detergent itself (that has wax incorporated). I bought two microfiber sponges, a big one and a medium one. I bought a pack of microfiber towels for drying it. I also bought a window squeegee (sp?), a brake dust brush, and a detail brush.

I think I went overboard and am having a bit of buyer's remorse. I just want to do it right and thoroughly, but not excessively. Any guidance? Anything I should return/don't need? Anything missing???

LOL!! I think you indeed went overboard.

I really enjoy washing my own car!!!

The chamois I prefer to dry my car with is The Absorber.

For soaps, I just buy the least expensive name brand. I clean my rims first, before I rinse the car with water, to avoid the water spots.....

I use a squeegee to eliminate the majority of the water from my car, after all the soap has been rinsed off.

I've been washing cars for over 10 years now, and I the feeling of washing my own car.

I think the Magic Eraser works well to get rid of caked on spots!
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    the wax in the wash is ok, but if you want to *really* wax your car, you need to get separate wax. my advice is, meguiar's brand is the best (for everything car care) & for drying, get an absorber, or absorber type drying cloth. they soak up water even when wet.
    OMG you are my new hero. i LOVE LOVE LOVE mcguire's (or however you spell it) wax. when i'm done my '02 nissan looks so sleek and shiny and just...beautiful. the white hurts my eyes.

i think lovedisappears's DH covered a good amount, but i will say for the interior i prefer armorall wipes. they leave a bit too high of a shine for my liking (it's blinding!) so i would use a soft cloth to sop up some, but it protects the inside of your car. i recommend a shop vac with several attachments, and a hoover steamvac jr for every now and then steamcleaning if you have cloth seats. and for the carpet.

also i make sure to do the tires last so the rocks from them don't scratch up my paint. you should wax your car when the paint starts feeling a bit dry. if you keep up with it your paint job can look new for years and years.

sorry for the lengthy reply, i just LOVE to wash and wax my car.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast