Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I alone with my wormies?

1. Purpur

Am I alone with my wormies?

Advertisements
    Yes....I said wormies.
    Do any of ya'll do vermicomposting? Or shoot....regular composting?

Vermicomposting is using worms (normally red wigglers, but others can be used too) to dispose of your kitchen waste. It's similar in fashion to regular composting, but is a "cold" process and is quicker....

Anyone?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    sorry
    but it sounds interesting
    I think my little cousin would love it if we hard a worm farm in our backyard
    [/URL]
    You're My Wife Select. You've been approved for the position you just have to go through the ceremony
  3. Purpur
    my boys are completely fascinated. The love to put an apple core in and check it every couple of days to see it change.
    And it's actually in my kitchen (no stink, or bugs or dirt is outside the actual container)....It's nice to be able to finish cooking and start cleaning up the kitchen and just pour all my kitchen scraps into the container, knowing that in a couple of months I'll have some awesome compost! With little to no work from me!
  4. Senior Member
    I have never heard of that!
  5. Pregnant with Baby #2
    Pregnant with Baby #2
    I would get wormies but a) I think Daymon would freak and b) the dogs would go insane and c) Trev would probably try and eat them!!
    This is my shrine to Bryanna... she rocks!!
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I've always wanted to try it, after 6th grade camp. The camp we were at did composting. It was really cool and the compost didn't smell...only like dirt!!!
  7. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    I'm definitely interested - tell me more!!

Can you veripost outside or does it have to be done indoors? Special container? Source for the worms?
    Pour all your knowledge onto me - I'm all over this idea, I love it!! We're wanting to start a garden but fertilizer and refilling the soil with untainted stuff is going to cost an arm and a leg before we can even plant a single seed.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My family in Germany does
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  9. Purpur
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    I'm definitely interested - tell me more!!

Can you veripost outside or does it have to be done indoors? Special container? Source for the worms?
    Pour all your knowledge onto me - I'm all over this idea, I love it!! We're wanting to start a garden but fertilizer and refilling the soil with untainted stuff is going to cost an arm and a leg before we can even plant a single seed.
    It doesn't have to be inside. It can totally be done outside, but the wormies are happiest between 60-80 degrees f. So if it's hot in the summer where you are, you need to keep them in the shade....if its cold, you need to wrap them up in a blanket when the temperature gets low....
    You don't need a special container. You can use a rubbermaid tub, drill some small holes in the bottom/sides and lid. I have a thing called a worm factory (that's what it looks like), its made just for vermicomposting, but it isn't necessary. My source for the worms is local, and I just drove to get them. You can get them online too.... www.findworms.com is great to help you find a local source (or at least a source closer to you).
    I bought 2 lbs of worms, but if you but just 1 lb they can double in as little as 90 days. It does take a while for you to get the actual vermicompost (6 months or so).
    And really....no smell. I did end up with flies on like day 5 after I put a banana and it's peel in the WF....I have since learned to fill up a tub (I use a ziplock plastic tub) and then freeze it for at least 3 days. After 3 days, I pull it out of the freezer and let it sit on the counter (I don't take the top off) and thaw out and get a little mushy....and then pour it on top of about half of the WF. Cover it with my shredded paper (I shred anything with personal information and the wormies are GREAT at being little identity protectors) or a couple of pages of ripped up newspaper and walk away. I feed about twice a week right now. It's not handling our full output yet (we eat on TON of fruit and veggies every day), but it's getting there.
    You can add pretty much any fruit or veggie scrap. The worms are not a huge fan of garlic, onion or citrus peel, but they will "eat" them eventually (I have been adding them) I even throw in grape stems. If you drink coffee or tea, you can add the grounds and the filters in (minus and staples and tags). Toilet paper/paper towel rolls can be thrown in.
    Technically you're not supposed to add dairy products or meat, but I have heard of people doing it in small amounts to well established herds.
    Ummmm......any questions?
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    We composted without worms as a kid, in a barrel in the sun that we turned every couple days. I would love to try it with worms. Do you live in base housing? My only concern was whether or not we would be allowed to compost in our yard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast