Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help- grocery shopping!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Help- grocery shopping!

Advertisements
    I seriously have a new-found respect for my mother for ALWAYS having food in the house.

I SUCK at grocery shopping. I always buy too much, or too little.... when I try to buy fruits/veggies, they don't get eaten fast enough so they end up spoiling.... and I try to by snack foods, they never last....

Any advice?

I have no concept of what's a good price to pay for fresh veggies & fruits.... or any other food for that matter.....

There's only two of us, so it's hard.... does anyone have any tips/hints/suggestions/etc?

They'll be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Senior Member
    I have the same problem.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

PLan out meals ahead of time, and buy what you need to make those. If you do that and that list falls below the set amount you have to buy groceries, spend the rest on snack foods and stash them in various places around the house

Debbie Myer's Green Bags really do work, too. I can keep spinach for two weeks without it wilting or rotting!
  4. Senior Member
    Planning out meals like loretta said is a really good idea that will definitely help you and snack foods usually last longer (chips, crackers, popcorn, cookies, cheese pepperoni, etc you get the idea) so if you buy too much it doesn't really matter!
  5. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

The other's have offered great suggestions. I too advise you to pre-plan your meals before going to the grocery store. Also, sit down with the recipes you like the most (the ones you seem to prepare alot) and see what the common ingredients are. These items are what you should keep in your cupboard. (ex. for us we eat alot of italian, so I always have diced tomatoes, artichokes, black olives, tomato sauce, ect,...) This way I can always whip up a dish.

Also try to make items that you can split and freeze (like chili, soups ect..) so you can defrost a meal quickly.

If you want I'll PM you two really great chilir recipes, one is a white chili (with chicken) and one is a hearty chili (w/beef and two types beans).

Good luck!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If you don't have a crock pot, get one...crock pot meals are super easy to throw together and you can keep things like noodles and canned ingredients and frozen veggies around for a long time!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
    The other's have offered great suggestions. I too advise you to pre-plan your meals before going to the grocery store. Also, sit down with the recipes you like the most (the ones you seem to prepare alot) and see what the common ingredients are. These items are what you should keep in your cupboard. (ex. for us we eat alot of italian, so I always have diced tomatoes, artichokes, black olives, tomato sauce, ect,...) This way I can always whip up a dish.

Also try to make items that you can split and freeze (like chili, soups ect..) so you can defrost a meal quickly.

If you want I'll PM you two really great chilir recipes, one is a white chili (with chicken) and one is a hearty chili (w/beef and two types beans).

Good luck!
    Ooooh I would LOVE those recipes if you don't mind!!! Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    If you don't have a crock pot, get one...crock pot meals are super easy to throw together and you can keep things like noodles and canned ingredients and frozen veggies around for a long time!
    I've been meaning to get one of those guess I should get on that

We have a huge freezer in the garage- I usually buy frozen chicken breasts in bulk from Costco since DB has problems digesting red meat.

The freezer is my friend

I think I'm gonna stock up on gladware so I can start storing leftovers.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!
  8. Senior Member
    Do you have an Albertsons around your house? they have chicken breast in the butcher shop for $1.88 a pound many weeks out of the month. I always stock up then. We eat a lot of chicken also. There are so many healthy recipes using chicken!!! YUMMY!!!

9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    PLan out meals ahead of time, and buy what you need to make those. If you do that and that list falls below the set amount you have to buy groceries, spend the rest on snack foods and stash them in various places around the house

Debbie Myer's Green Bags really do work, too. I can keep spinach for two weeks without it wilting or rotting!
    My exact thoughts as well! And I too use those bags! They work great & are well worth the money! Just remember they can only be used about 10 times each before they need thrown out or used for something else. Still worth it, imo!
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by *Christy6* View Post
    Do you have an Albertsons around your house? they have chicken breast in the butcher shop for $1.88 a pound many weeks out of the month. I always stock up then. We eat a lot of chicken also. There are so many healthy recipes using chicken!!! YUMMY!!!
    !!!!!!!!! I'm gonna have to find an albertsons!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    My exact thoughts as well! And I too use those bags! They work great & are well worth the money! Just remember they can only be used about 10 times each before they need thrown out or used for something else. Still worth it, imo!
    I'm gonna have to get some of those bags I think.... hehe

I had a pretty good trip to the grocery store (minus the Sunday crowd ).... I spent $112.00 and bought EVERYTHING needed for about 10 days worth of meals

I'm sure I probably still overpaid on a lot of stuff (even though I do my best to buy what's on sale)..... but... meh, I'm learning.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast