Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: refinishing furniture

1. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!

refinishing furniture

Advertisements
    has anyone ever refinished furniture?

DH & I inherited some of his great grandparents furniture & desperately needs restaining! What is the process like? Does it take long? Any info helps!

thanks!

2. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    If it's antique, and worth something, do NOT refinish it.

" One word about refinishing antiques is sufficient. Don't. It's not that you can't physically remove the old finish and put on a new one, the problem is that the old finish, no matter how dark and ugly, is extremely valuable to antique collectors. The original finish is part of the provenance, or history of the piece, and therefore can't be removed without losing the most visible proof of its age. "

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!
  3. Senior Member
    I just got a table that has been painted. I am planning on stripping it this weekend so I can re-stain it. It takes a long time and it is hard work, but in the end it looks really good!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveDisappears View Post
    If it's antique, and worth something, do NOT refinish it.

" One word about refinishing antiques is sufficient. Don't. It's not that you can't physically remove the old finish and put on a new one, the problem is that the old finish, no matter how dark and ugly, is extremely valuable to antique collectors. The original finish is part of the provenance, or history of the piece, and therefore can't be removed without losing the most visible proof of its age. "
    I agree, don't don't don't refinish antique furniture, especially if its a family heirloom.

We have refinished older furniture, nothing antique, just beat up stuff we found at the salvation army. This is similar to the guide we followed..

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...nWdFurn.html#1

But again, I stress, don't do it!
  5. Loving my soldier since '96
    Loving my soldier since '96
    I agree dont refinish. Or if you do refinish it I would let someone do it professionally Itis a a hard and long task. I have been refinishing beds for the past 3 wknds and if you dont know what you are doing it will be long and trying task.
    (Disclaimer: The following information is coming from a Army wife who doesn't actually know any specifics 100%. Often told to her by husband or other wise ones. Though, they all will admit that at times they dont know the specifics neither. The information received should be considered unstable and possibly flammable. Do not disseminate. )
  6. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    I'm going against the grain. If it's really, really old, like at least 100 years, then I wouldn't refinish. But if it's younger than that, I say go for it. Maybe check with someone to see what it's worth before deciding.

I have a couch from the late 30's / early 40's that I inherited. It was my great-grandmother's. I took it to an interior designer who also owned an antique store, and he told me go for it. He said he would never recommend it if it was truly worth something, but it wasn't. That gave me peace of mind to move on with my plans, and now I truly love it.

It's a lot of work, and a lot of patience, but I think it's awesome to take something from your family, honor your heritage, but make it yours all at the same time.
  7. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    the stuff hast alot of wear (dings, scuffs, etc.) from all the moves (not just ours but it was passed down through generations)... I almost don't want it in my house - the way it looks. The table - I can cover with a table cloth but one of the legs needs to be nailed back in... the dressers and night stands need alot of work...

Maybe I'll see if any of the other family wants it.

thanks for the link, LindsayLin !!!