Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Military Housing Question!

1. raechl

Military Housing Question!

Advertisements
    So, granted I'm new to the whole scene of Military Living Situations.. I figured I'd ask some of the professionals! Heh! So, lend me a helping hand if you can.

DB was talking to me more and more about getting married and living together. Granted, he's early on in the whole process.. I became curious.

How does Military Housing work (if you're married) throughout AIT? ie Do you live together? Or is that only after he's graduated and is being stationed off?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    you live together once he is staioned... you cant live with him though any type of schooling.
  3. raechl
    Alright, thank you so much. I was just a little curious, considering whenever he talks about AIT it always sounds a lot like college. So I didn't know how it worked.

They get weekends and nights off, though, is that correct?
    I'm just trying to flush out things I've heard.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    rea!!! you are from my neck of the woods!! I originate from saginaw!! and I had relatives in Zeeland!!!
  5. Loving my soldier since '96
    Loving my soldier since '96
    Quote Originally Posted by ECWillard View Post
    you live together once he is staioned... you cant live with him though any type of schooling.
    In the Army, it depends on how long the AIT training is. If your schooling is longer than 22 weeks then the military will allow the orders to be changed to accompanied and will move the dependents to be with himu. He will also qualify for military housing. Now in the first 11 weeks of schooling, he will still be in barracks and restricted. After that he will be able can sleep at home but there will be some restrictions as well.
    (Disclaimer: The following information is coming from a Army wife who doesn't actually know any specifics 100%. Often told to her by husband or other wise ones. Though, they all will admit that at times they dont know the specifics neither. The information received should be considered unstable and possibly flammable. Do not disseminate. )
  6. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    not true with army

Quote Originally Posted by MomWifeMe View Post
    In the Army, it depends on how long the AIT training is. If your schooling is longer than 22 weeks then the military will allow the orders to be changed to accompanied and will move the dependents to be with himu. He will also qualify for military housing. Now in the first 11 weeks of schooling, he will still be in barracks and restricted. After that he will be able can sleep at home but there will be some restrictions as well.

Once he is married though, I believe that BAH starts while in AIT. I got married to my ex during ait and I am pretty sure we got BAH before I moved to GA. He was still in AIT when we got our first place together.
  7. Loving my soldier since '96
    Loving my soldier since '96

Once he is married though, I believe that BAH starts while in AIT. I got married to my ex during ait and I am pretty sure we got BAH before I moved to GA. He was still in AIT when we got our first place together.[/quote]

Oh I forgot the married part, Thanks!!! Also I agree, you do get BAH. If you are married, he will get it in basic as well.
    (Disclaimer: The following information is coming from a Army wife who doesn't actually know any specifics 100%. Often told to her by husband or other wise ones. Though, they all will admit that at times they dont know the specifics neither. The information received should be considered unstable and possibly flammable. Do not disseminate. )
  8. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    not true there is a time restriction ie he has to be at school for more then x days/weeks. if yours is shorter they won't move you.

I'm not sure what the army regs are but in the navy you have to be at school for 181 days to be allowed to move. most of the time they will make school 178 days to avoid the added expense.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    That's not correct. You can be moved with the military member at military expense if the schooling is more than 20 weeks in any one spot.

So, if school is 15 weeks in Kansas and then another 15 in Idaho, the military isn't going to move you and they probably aren't going to authorize him any money to live in town while in school. OTOH, if the school is 52 weeks in San Diego, then yes you can be moved to that location on the military's dime.

When counting the weeks, be sure to use the official number of weeks that the school uses- there's a lot of 'gray area' between 48 weeks and 52 weeks, and it doesn't always match up to the calendar.
  10. Pregnant with Baby #2
    Pregnant with Baby #2
    BAH starts as soon as you are married no matter what school they are in. We have been getting BAH since hubby left for basic, while they are in school their BAH is based on their home of record unless they have a very long AIT and you move with them
    This is my shrine to Bryanna... she rocks!!