Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying a house..

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Advice on buying a house..

Advertisements
    so DH and i are looking to possibly buy a house within the next year or so if everything turns out right...but i just wanted to get advice from people who've been there done that...

I've been researching on grants and stuff...because we don't have ALOT of money to put down...is there any website or other place you would recommend to help out with first time buyers...

i've looked at the recent tax credit that bush ennacted..i'm just not sure if that's for us..

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  2. Hi, I'm Amy :)
    Hi, I'm Amy :)
    I do mortgages for a living so any questions you have feel free to PM me and I'll gladly answer them for you. FHA is the way to go if you dont have a lot to put down. You can usually get away with 3% down and try to get the sellers to cover some closing costs for you too.
  3. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    i agree that fha is the way to go right now. i also have been in the industry for many years so if you have specific questions...u know how to reach me
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    i've been to the FHA website and just by looks alone..it looks like it's really good... unfortunetly i haven't really found good programs for first time buyers in VA with regards to government grants and stuff...except for HUD homes...and i don't really know what a HUD home is...

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  5. Senior Member
    I don't have much advice on the financial end, but just make sure that even if you looooooooooove the very first one you look at, look at a few more. If anything, just to validate your feelings. Also, I would focus more on what a house DOESN'T have that you want, vs how much you like it as a whole. That way you can really see if it's something you really need or can live without. Like a playroom or something.
  6. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    low low income housing.... hud means housing and urban development. grants as in the nehemiah program? is that what u are referring to? check out the home sweet home section for more advice. another thing to think about...when applying for a mortgae, the lender is generally going to want to see reserves in the bank to demonstrate that if someome im the household lost their job the mortgage could be paid.
  7. Darushka
    Why not use the VA loan? That's what we used for our first home. It was a such a blessing to qualify for a nice home with no money down.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Darushka View Post
    Why not use the VA loan? That's what we used for our first home. It was a such a blessing to qualify for a nice home with no money down.
    i've heard that if you ever want to sell a house, you have to sell to someone who is also using a VA loan, is that true?

i have no advice! but goodluck sweetie!
  9. Darushka
    No that is not true. We sold to regular 'ol civilian buyers.
  10. Bishes be crazay.
    Bishes be crazay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darushka View Post
    Same here.

The VA loan had a lower, fixed interest rate and a few other perks. Although it sounds as though you've got a good-sized deposit so it may not be as advantageous for you.

We bought our house right before the market went bizerker so my experience may not be applicable here. Good luck with your purchase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast