Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: peel & stick vinyl tile?

1. Give me my coffee and no one gets hurt
    Give me my coffee and no one gets hurt

peel & stick vinyl tile?

Advertisements
    has anyone personally installed (or helped install) the vinyl tiles you just peel the back off of and stick down? we have nasty linoleum in our bathroom and i was thinking about maybe doing this to kill some time before DH comes home.

anyone who's seen my bathroom can attest that it's super tiny. however, there's the tub, toilet & vanity that i'd have to work around (not to mention this really small, weird area between the tub and the wall.

my stepdad has put it down in his house and at my grandparents, but it doesn't look too hot (gaps between the tiles, etc) so i don't want to ask him lol. i'm just wondering if it would be worth the time, effort, & frustration.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have no clue, how hard would it be to get back up if you don't like the way it is looking?
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I googled for you: http://www.onlinetips.org/peel-stick-floor http://babybanana.wordpress.com/category/diy/ I guess you can't lay more then two layers of flooring on top of each other for your floor to still be sound.
  4. Give me my coffee and no one gets hurt
    Give me my coffee and no one gets hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by Green~Mammy View Post
    I googled for you: http://www.onlinetips.org/peel-stick-floor http://babybanana.wordpress.com/category/diy/ I guess you can't lay more then two layers of flooring on top of each other for your floor to still be sound.

you should have sent me this link though: http://www.fuckinggoogleit.com/ i thought about googling places to find it (other than home depot and lowes), but didn't think to google installation.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taraw226 View Post
    has anyone personally installed (or helped install) the vinyl tiles you just peel the back off of and stick down? we have nasty linoleum in our bathroom and i was thinking about maybe doing this to kill some time before DH comes home.

anyone who's seen my bathroom can attest that it's super tiny. however, there's the tub, toilet & vanity that i'd have to work around (not to mention this really small, weird area between the tub and the wall.

my stepdad has put it down in his house and at my grandparents, but it doesn't look too hot (gaps between the tiles, etc) so i don't want to ask him lol. i'm just wondering if it would be worth the time, effort, & frustration.
    Those are garbage, especially for a bathroom.. The adhesive doesn't seal properly, and moisture is guaranteed to get underneath it, and cause rot and mold... That's about the only guarantee it comes with..

If you want to make it look nice because you're selling the house, and you don't plan on being there for any period of time, then put it down.. But it's crap.

A single piece of vinyl would prolly work real good... You can take the toilet out, and put the flooring under it, then place the toilet back on.. All you have to buy is a $4 wax ring..

Why don't you have someone come over and give you a free estimate?
  6. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    If done right they actually aren't to bad. The thing is you will HAVE to pull up the existing vinyl and you need to seal the floor with a vapor barrier of some sort- either a paint on or an actual barrier sheet.
  7. Senior Member
    I have done it, and it wasn't hard at all. Start in the middle and work your way out. But like Lindsay said, it is crap. But for a short, cheap fix it is ok.
    Needs work.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgwynn View Post
    If done right they actually aren't to bad. The thing is you will HAVE to pull up the existing vinyl and you need to seal the floor with a vapor barrier of some sort- either a paint on or an actual barrier sheet.
    I didn't pull up the vinyl that had been in my kitchen when I put down peel and stick. I went right over it without issue.
    Needs work.
  9. FrappuccinoJunky
    Ive been planning on doing he same thing. I want to do my kitchen and bathroom. Like you, I also have a very small bathroom. As far as the gaps, I think Im gonna use a paper bag as a guide to make sure Im getting the exact cutting area, kinda like a stencil. I'll place the piece of bag in line with the other tiles to cut out(around the toilet and vanity) exactly as it needs to be laid. that way the bag tile will be my guide to cut the real tile.
  10. wishin
    wishin
    we did it in out bathroom. i dont like it.
    Sometimes the smallest things take up the biggest space in your heart.