Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decorating advice... HELP!

1. FACT: Bears eat beets.
    FACT: Bears eat beets.

Decorating advice... HELP!

Advertisements
    I have high ceilings and an open floor plan in the downstairs of my house... I want to paint but I am having a really hard time thinking of a creative way to go about it so everything is coordinated and it doesn't look choppy. My downstairs has a large living room, kitchen, dining room, and foyer, all of which are visible from the other rooms.

Probably the trickiest areas are: (1) I have a corner fireplace in the living room, and don't think I should paint the adjoining walls behind it two different colors, (2) one of my living rooms walls runs into the kitchen where the cabinets are, and (3) there is a small walled area in between my kitchen and dining room that holds my pantry, and each face of it faces a different room

I need your help ladies!!!!!!!!!! I beg of you, I am totally lost

I like a lot of faded, greyed down colors (sage green, rust, grey blue, mousy brown) but have no idea which walls to paint what colors. My house is decorated in an eastern motif (some asian inspired, some indian) if that helps.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has trouble of its own.
    Matthew 6:34

2. Senior Member
    Can you take a picture?
  3. FACT: Bears eat beets.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdlansdale View Post
    Can you take a picture?
    Sure! Just give me a minute...

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has trouble of its own.

4. Senior Member
    One thing that we did in one room to break up the length of it was putting a molding up. In our case its nearly half way up the wall under the molding is one color and we left the top white along with the ceiling.
  5. FACT: Bears eat beets.
    Not sure if these pictures help at all... they are a little old, but I will see if I can walk you through the downstairs a little bit...

This is the dining room, immediately to your right when you come in the front door:

This door takes you into the kitchen from the dining room... the other side of the room is completely open and visible from the foyer hallway, which also leads you to the kitchen.

This is the back wall of the kitchen. To the left is a wide countertop with a bar that overlooks the living room. To the right is the dining room door from the last picture, and the pantry.

This is the living room, facing the same wall you just saw from the kitchen. The fireplace is in the back right corner of my house.

These pictures look nothing like the way its decorated now, but you can at least get an idea of the layout...

Facing the kitchen from the living room:

Facing the back wall from the living room:

Facing the opposite living room wall:

And the half bath:

That's everything!! Whew!

6. Senior Member
    What a great space to work with. My advice to you is to pick one color for the family room and kitchen. If the room is really small go with something light because something dark will make it look smaller. I would go with a neutral color in the brown family. I love green in bathrooms and a warm color in the dining room if you are actually going to use it as a dining room.
  7. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    Use a rusty red in the dining room, then lighten it up with linens and wall art.

For the living/family room and kitchen I would use a sage green.. it will complement the cabinets in the kitchen with their red tones and it will be cool and calming. Then you can bring in brighter colors as accents in the furniture and with wall art and candles and lamps and such.

For the bathroom.. go with a warm tan/yellow and then accent with small things in bright colors. That or you could go bold and use bright colors and tone it down with floor mats, towels, and wall art.

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  8. FACT: Bears eat beets.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdlansdale View Post
    What a great space to work with. My advice to you is to pick one color for the family room and kitchen. If the room is really small go with something light because something dark will make it look smaller. I would go with a neutral color in the brown family. I love green in bathrooms and a warm color in the dining room if you are actually going to use it as a dining room.
    Do you think I should pick different shades, like maybe a lighter and darker version of the same color and alternate in any way for the walls in the living room and kitchen? Or stick to the same one? I think that might complicate things, but I was thinking it might make it a little more interesting...

9. Senior Member
    I would stick to the same color. Do you own this place or rent it?
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnysGirl View Post
    Use a rusty red in the dining room, then lighten it up with linens and wall art.

For the living/family room and kitchen I would use a sage green.. it will complement the cabinets in the kitchen with their red tones and it will be cool and calming. Then you can bring in brighter colors as accents in the furniture and with wall art and candles and lamps and such.

For the bathroom.. go with a warm tan/yellow and then accent with small things in bright colors. That or you could go bold and use bright colors and tone it down with floor mats, towels, and wall art.
    absolutely...I love the idea of greens (sage-y greens) and deep reds...you are a woman after my own heart
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast